MBP won't wake with lid closed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kcbaker, Jul 2, 2009.

1. kcbaker macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone,

First time poster.

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro 15" and a Samsung SyncMaster 23" external monitor. I got the mini-displayport to DVI adapter, and I'm able to view the MBP screen on the external monitor as either an extension to my desktop or as a mirror. However, what I really want to do is close the lid and keep working on the external monitor, and, for whatever reason, when I closes the lid, the computer sleeps and won't wake.

I did some searching here and learned from others that in order to have this work, you have to have 1) A/C power, 2) a monitor attached, and 3) an external input device (keyboard/mouse/etc.). I have all three - the keyboard and mouse are Apple but are attached via a USB Hub.

Like I said earlier, the computer sleeps on lid close (expected) but won't wake until I open the lid.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

2. fwhh macrumors regular

Have you checked if your computer wakes up if the keyboard is connected directly to the usb port? If the Hub has an power indicator, is it lit if the computer is asleep?

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I think fwhh hit it on the head. Sounds like the keyboard and mouse must be attached to the laptop, not through a hub.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

You could use Caffeine to prevent your machine from going to sleep with the lid closed.

5. LurchNC macrumors regular

You are going to overheat your computer running it with the lid closed. Just FYI