MBP Word Processing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adriano73, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Adriano73 macrumors newbie

Adriano73

Hi, Been an iPhone user for a long time and an iPad user for a few months. Considering completing things with a MBP. I use my PC for word processing mostly, I do some public speaking. Going to take a look in my local apple store but I'd really value users opinions on Word Processing on the MBP, how is it?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any Mac model can easily accommodate word processing. I use MS Office for Mac daily and can tell you it runs perfectly fine. I routinely share files with Windows users and have no problems at all. If you don't want MS Office for some reason, there are many alternatives, such as iWork, NeoOffice, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, Google Docs, etc. Searching the forum will reveal dozens of threads discussing these various alternatives and the pros and cons of each.

3. valleydesign macrumors member

If you aren't looking at the 15" I'd say pick up a MBA if all you are doing is word processing. Really any Mac is going to do the job it all comes down to how much you wanna spend.

4. Adriano73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Adriano73

5. Melih macrumors member

Texts look very pleasant to the eye on new retina displays. You may also wanna check them out.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The RMBP is a ridiculous waste of money if all it's used for is word processing. It's more helpful to recommend something appropriate to the user's needs, rather than recommend something that may be appropriate to yours.

7. zerotiu macrumors regular

it seems you often carry the laptop. MBA 13" maybe is better for you.

8. Melih, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

Melih macrumors member

Well, "needs" for word processing are pretty low huh? She could also just get a 2004 Macbook. Would do the job.

RMBP offers something beneficial for a person who is interested in word processing. Because texts look high quality. Other than that, as I said above, there is not much difference between a new Macbook and a cheaper old one.

Maybe you should have recommended a less expensive Macbook for her needs? :)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's exactly right. So why recommend paying more for a high-priced RMBP, when any Mac made within the past few years would easily do the job that the OP requires?

10. mojo8472 macrumors member

Whilst we're on the subject (kinda), does anyone have a LaTeX editor they can recommend on OSX?

11. windowstomac macrumors regular

One point is being missed here - screen resolution. The standard 13" MBP's resolution doesn't lend itself that well to word processing - i.e. not really enough room for two side by side pages.

Sure, any computer from the last 15 years can DO word-processing, but in terms of workflow, a retina display could actually help tremendously if budget allows.

12. MacBird macrumors 6502

Unless you want a 15'' screen, I would definitely have a look at the 13'' MacBook Air. If you prefer a 15'' screen and you choose the new MBP with retina display, you would have to wait until the developers adjust the program for these screens. Right now neither Pages nor MS Word are and MS does not have the best track record for doing those things fast. It took them almost a year to include the full screen option. If you carry the laptop around a lot, the MBA is good for that, too.