MBP - Worrying smell

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScottHemlock, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ScottHemlock macrumors member

ScottHemlock

I've just done a clean of my Macbook Pro with the good old iKlean solution and while I was cleaning the back of my Macbook, around the fan exhaust, I noticed there was a really horrible smell. So (this is gonna sound weird) I gave it a sniff and GEEZ! It pongs! It's a sharp tangy smell. Like mixing vinegar with Zinc.

My MBP is getting to be almost 2 years old. Is this normal? I'm a little worried now.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

is it possible you got the the iKlean stuff in the computer?

Were you spraying the stuff on the computer while it was on?

3. ScottHemlock thread starter macrumors member

ScottHemlock

No, I always spray it on to the cloth directly and have done so since I got it. I always clean it while it is off. I first got a hint of the smell yesterday evening while I was using it but didn't think anything of it. I thought it may of been me (I've had a shower now ;))

4. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Try putting the MBP in the freezer for 10 - 15 minutes... Should freshen it right up. (For extra fragrance put a scented candle beside it.)

Mega LawL:rolleyes:

5. ScottHemlock thread starter macrumors member

ScottHemlock

I've tried Liquid Nitrogen but the smell is just too stuben. The candle didn't seem to do anything for it :p

6. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Hmmmm. . . Must really smell then eh? Perhaps if we put some valume on it... That really fixes her up... Although you wouldn't be able to touch it then without messing up your nerves... I'd do it.

7. ScottHemlock thread starter macrumors member

ScottHemlock

But seriously, this can't be normal can it? I can smell it every now and then when I use it. It smells a bit like a motor from a model train or car.

8. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Well are we talking a burning smell, melting smell, or like chemical smell?

The first two would indicate some type of failure of hardware and the last might say battery leak (unlikely) or unknown substance.

9. ScottHemlock thread starter macrumors member

ScottHemlock

Chemical I would think. I've checked the battery and it seems fine :).

10. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Forgive me, as I am only experienced with older OLDER macs with issues like this. . . Perhaps there is a capacitor leaking? PRAM Battery? ? ?

Only Advice: Take it to Apple ASAP.

11. Kevin07 macrumors newbie

Kevin07

Agreed with Webbers (UP ABOVE)
    TAKE IT TO THE APPLE STORE

Back the data up first!!!

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

13. ScottHemlock thread starter macrumors member

ScottHemlock

14. Paul B macrumors 6502

Definitely not normal. Did you spill something on it? If you have the right screwdriver, just open it up and show us the guts.

15. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It could be a burned out resistor or other component. Those can smell really bad.

Get some of these
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2996359 (must be 10 ohms or less, 1/8 or 1/4 watt)
    and put one across a good power supply (12V PC power supply, a car battery, or a rechargeable battery pack like you would use for a cordless tool. 6-10 AA batteries in series might do it as well), and see if it smells the same. Be careful since the resistor will make lots of smoke, get very hot, and possibly burst into flames or explode. Hold the resistor with pliers or something that won't melt, or better yet attach the resistor to the end of some wire to keep your distance, and touch the wire to the power supply. Do this experiment outdoors over a nonflammable surface (like your driveway), and be sure to wear heat resistant gloves (leather gardening gloves will provide some protection), and wear safety goggles. Don't directly inhale the smoke. If you are careful and maintain some distance from the burning resistor, this experiment is fairly safe.

Legal disclaimer: It's your own fault if you get hurt or your house burns down or something like that while attempting this experiment.