MBP - Worth Fixing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iceycee, Aug 22, 2015.

1. iceycee macrumors newbie

iceycee

Hey macrumors
    I've posted here only a handful of times but I thought I'd come back for some more friendly advice. If you check my post history you'll see that a little over a year ago my MBP logic board went bad. Well, I never got it fixed and instead I bought a PC laptop. I still have my MBP and its still very much broken. I've been saving up recently and I am sort of tempted to get it repaired. I was told it would be $280 for a new logic board. I can afford to fix it, but I'm not 100% convinced whether or not its worth it. I've had a few minor spills on the laptop. Plus, I had a swollen battery that was replaced but not until after it become a huge problem. Anyways, what I'm getting at is: will it be worth the money to repair this almost 5 year old machine? The hardware definitely has suffered abuse and misuse. Is the machine just dying on me and I should just let it go?

I look forward to hearing your responses and thank you. :)

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

On its own, possibly. But if you replace the Logic Board I'd also suggest throwing an SSD in there to increase its performance and longevity. It's a 13" 2011 MBP? As long as your mentality is "I'm going to use this rather than sell this", that's a good start.

Are there any Mac-specific applications or uses for OS X that would justify the repair? Otherwise there's no point.

3. iceycee thread starter macrumors newbie

iceycee

You raise a good point that I didn't consider. I really only wanted another laptop to use for travel. I didn't have any specific uses for OS X.