MBP: X-Ray at Airport, should I be careful?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Jul 8, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

Does the X-Ray run through the MBP at the airport present a risk? Should I tell them to be careful and scan it separately? What about Metal-Detectors? Would either of those mechanisms damage my MBP's hard drive, battery, etc...?

2. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope

3. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Nope. No need to worry. They will likely have you send it through in it's own bin.

4. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

But it's best to completely shut it down?
    I'll tell them to scan it separately if I see a metal detector I think

5. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Mines been through 6 in one day. I'm sure I've left it running too. Relax :)

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

thanks to the OP for this thread. im going on a plane in 3 weeks and was wondering the same thing.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

No.

No.

They won't let you carry it through the metal detector (which wouldn't hurt it anyway) - it has to go through the imaging machine. There's no risk to your machine.

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Really? Millions of laptops are scanned daily. If it were an issue, don't you think people would have raised hell about it by now?

9. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I fly almost every week, and passing your computer thru the imaging machine does not pose any threat to the electronic components. I never shutdown my power book, it stays on all the time and it passes thru x-ray with no issues at all.

So the answer is no. Be careful not to drop it though.

10. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

11. jesterscourt macrumors regular

Just few through Dulles two weeks ago, no problems whatsoever, and had it running in sleep mode the whole time.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope. Thousands of people travel with thier laptops, cell phones etc.. everyday and no one seems to have a problem.

Don't worry about it.

13. palpatine macrumors 68040

no worries.

i would recommend:

backing up your computer (sugarsync + time machine),

carrying it in a hardcase (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...d=1t:429,r:5,s:0&tx=95&ty=78&biw=1280&bih=679),

putting it in a sleeve (http://www.macstories.net/news/deflect-the-damage-with-the-g-form-macbook-sleeve/),

purchasing applecare,

and having it under your insurance.

most airports nowadays seem fine with your leaving it in the sleeve when you take it out of your bag, so it should be a painless process. but, in the unlikely event something tragic happens (nothing to fear from x-rays, but you never know about thieves), you won't have a single thing to worry about.

14. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

As long as it's not strapped to a gallon of gasoline, a bag of fertilizer, and a car battery I think you'll be okay. But if not, enjoy the pat down. ;)

15. craighton macrumors member

craighton

Just to be safe I would make sure it is completely off, other than that it is ok. The XRay isn't that harmless for the amount of time it is exposed.

16. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

God did i post that wait ....

17. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I've taken my laptop with me ever since I bought my first Macbook, and it never caused any trouble after scanning at the airport. The same goes for my Macbook Pro, iPod Touch, and other Apple gadgets. No worries.

18. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i meant turning the laptop off. i figured scanning it it would be fine but i wanted to make sure it could be on. i havent been on a plane in a couple years and just thought of it looking at this thread. since the laptop cost 2200 when i got it i wanted to make sure nothing happened.

19. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I had mine turned on and on sleep mode every time it passes thru the x-ray machine.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

i wouldn't leave it on, but that's only because of the battery. even on sleep you lose something like a percent an hour, and you want to be very miserly when traveling. it won't cause any problems, though, if you leave it on.

21. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

You'll be fine. Frequent flyer here. Be more concerned about larcenous TSA agents stuffing it down their pants. And if you have time, opt out of the x ray of your body. (The millimeter-wave scanners are no hazard.). Oh, and maybe refrain from fanboyishly chirping, "I'm tellin ya, my Mac is just da bomb!"