MBP + Xbox 360

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leshake, May 13, 2008.

1. leshake macrumors newbie

leshake

Hi all,
    Now i now this topic has already been done but I am having problems connecting my xbox 360 to my MBP via ethernet cable. I just can't seem to connect. I have already tried many methods I have found on teh forums as well as online.

This is my current setup:
    Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS > MBP SR 2.2 wirelessly
    MBP > xbox 360 ethernet cable

Some things to point out:
    I own Tiger and I am using shared internet. What I mean by that is that I do not own the router or have access to it as it belongs to my neighbor upstairs, however we do share internet.

I figured it might be ports or something with the router possibly blocking access but that shouldn't be a problem as long as my MBP can connect online.

So this is what I have done:
    system prefs>network>built-in ethernet> turned off IPv4
    system prefs>sharing>internet sharing>airport to ethernet sharing on
    system prefs>sharing>firewall off
    xbox 360: ip address - 192.168.2.2
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.2.1
    primary and secondary DNS: 192.168.1.1

i have gathered all of those numbers from terminal>ifconfig en0, those are the numbers.

when i try connecting to xbox live, it fails on network adapter all the time. despite whatever method i use (including changing the ip address to 10.0.0.1, etc)

also, when going to system prefs>network>network status, the built-in ethernet is red. maybe i need a crossover cable? i have read some conflicting opinions about this but most people have found a way to connect with a regular cat5 cable.

any help would definitely be appreciated

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you trying to use your MBP as a wireless adapter for your Xbox? I can't really help except suggest you buy a wireless gaming adapter, like the ones made by Linksys. They work very well.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i would think you would need either a crossover cable, or a hub/switch

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Macs have built-in crossover detection so the cable is not the problem. I've successfully had my 360 hooked up with all my ibooks and my G4 towers.

It did sometimes not work but was always a settings problem. Most likely your DNS.

Try this site here as it helped me. http://slightlyremarkable.com/blog/2006/04/12/xbox-live-via-mac/

5. leshake thread starter macrumors newbie

leshake

thanks for the replies.
    i have tried that method, it seems to be the most popular way most people have been able to connect. despite that, it still won't connect on my end.

i have thought about dropping money for an actual wireless adapter but i figured if this can't work, what are the chances that an actual dedicated adapter will? i guess what i mean is that perhaps it could be an issue with my not being able to access the router? it just seems weird i can't get it to connect, rationally it should work.

6. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I would try to contact your service provider. I was having the same problems, and they where able to help me get all of the numbers put in correctly. I had it working for a while, but then realized that if I had someone else trying to play off of my iMac it won't let them join the lobby. I belive it had something to do with my ISP not letting two or three people use the same ISP number. I ended up just moving my router near my xbox.