Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I apologize for posting the question here, but no one seems to be answering in the 'Games' section. Anyway, I just ordered the new MBP (2.53G, 4GB RAM, 512 vRAM) and I'd like to get back into some casual gaming.

Here are my questions:
- Can this new MBP comfortably run COD4 on max settings?
- Is there a performance difference running the game under Leopard as opposed to XP?
- Is it advisable to install XP via bootcamp for gaming? I'd rather keep XP off the machine entirely unless it makes a performance difference. I'll probably be playing 3 games at the most (i.e. I can wait for Mac releases).

My favourite game of all time is 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein', so I want a few games similar to that (hence COD4). If installing XP is advisable, then I may hold off COD4 and just buy COD5 when it comes out in Nov. Any idea why COD5 isn't being released for Mac?

Thanks for the help!

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
I really want to play COD4 and the new Red Alert 3 on my MBP (when i get it) but dont no what to expect.

Empyre

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
I have a buddy down the hall from me who plays COD on max settings on his Last generation MBP 8600GT 256MB Video RAM and 2GB system RAM...Runs flawlessly. He also played Crysis and I watched and it ran very well. I wouldn't be worried at all, especially with the now 9600GT with more RAM

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
I have a buddy down the hall from me who plays COD on max settings on his Last generation MBP 8600GT 256MB Video RAM and 2GB system RAM...Runs flawlessly. He also played Crysis and I watched and it ran very well. I wouldn't be worried at all, especially with the now 9600GT with more RAM

Thats what i want to hear :)

Empyre

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Yeah I would say you certainly get what you pay for with these MBPs. I really dont see why people are bashing the new ones so much. The glossy screen isn't bad at all IMO. The only way you can ever see your reflection is if you de-focus your eyes so to speak, which is even hard to do with such bright, vivid colors coming out of this screen!

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I was fairly sure that it would run smoothly, but I just wanted some confirmaton (not familar with COD4) - thanks!

Now, can anyone explain the difference between running games on Leopard as opposed to XP? Any reason why COD5 isn't being released on OS X (at least not yet)?

Thanks again!

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
Looking at this I hope the new MBP with full maxed out specs will be able to run World of Warcraft on high at a fluid framerate? :]

Hydroxs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta
With my 8600m gt, I am able to play on a 40 man server fine.

All high tex.
shadows off
spec map off
soften smoke screen off
Everything else on
AA off
AF 4x
1440x900

I average around 50 fps on most map. It sometime drops to low 20s when people throw alot of smoke.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
With my 8600m gt, I am able to play on a 40 man server fine.

All high tex.
shadows off
spec map off
soften smoke screen off
Everything else on
AA off
AF 4x
1440x900

I average around 50 fps on most map. It sometime drops to low 20s when people throw alot of smoke.

Thanks for the info, but it sounds like Chinese to me (remember, I'm not a gamer). I assume this means high clarity and no choppiness? What are the shadows all about (I hear a lot of people disable them).

Sorry for my stupidity, but I've never actually played COD4 before. Any thoughts on my other two questions?

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
- Is there a performance difference running the game under Leopard as opposed to XP?

Short Answer : Yes, if you know what you are looking for.
Long Answer : I havn't taken a look at the new gen macbook pros myself, but apple is notorious for underclocking their graphics chips within OS X to satisfy job's fetish for thin. Since there is no RivaTuner type application for OS X, you can't easily change it, and I would say that its running at about 3 to 3.5/4ths of its full potential clock speed (For my penryn macbook pro).

If you boot into XP/Vista you'll atleast have the opportunity to run full speed, unless you wish to overclock (i'm not going to get into a cooling debate with Any of you since there are too many ill informed individuals.).

If this is your first "rig" don't bother with anything i've said. I'd leave overclocking/unlocking/flashing to enthusiasts.

Enjoy your new machine :D

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Short Answer : Yes, if you know what you are looking for.
Long Answer : I havn't taken a look at the new gen macbook pros myself, but apple is notorious for underclocking their graphics chips within OS X to satisfy job's fetish for thin. Since there is no RivaTuner type application for OS X, you can't easily change it, and I would say that its running at about 3 to 3.5/4ths of its full potential clock speed (For my penryn macbook pro).

If you boot into XP/Vista you'll atleast have the opportunity to run full speed, unless you wish to overclock (i'm not going to get into a cooling debate with Any of you since there are too many ill informed individuals.).

If this is your first "rig" don't bother with anything i've said. I'd leave overclocking/unlocking/flashing to enthusiasts.

Enjoy your new machine :D

Thanks for the info... so is the answer "stick with OS X" or "install XP via Bootcamp"? Sorry, but I know ****-all about gaming haha

Thanks bud.

Empyre

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Looking at this I hope the new MBP with full maxed out specs will be able to run World of Warcraft on high at a fluid framerate? :]

I had a Windows laptop with a 8600M GT 256MB 2GB RAM Core2, and it ran WoW at very high frames, the fan was just blowing 1,000,000 miles an hour the whole time but hey, its a laptop. It also was able to run Age of Conan which is a very demanding graphics game at about 20 frames or so.

So, I wouldn't worry about being able to play WoW on the new machines, or the former MBP model. WoW not very graphically demanding :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.