MBP Yonah RAM Limit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddeadserious, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I read that the first generation MBP's RAM limit was 2GB.

Yes 2GB works, but OSX runs like a dog when I allocate 1GB of RAM to my VMWare Fusion running XP. Especially if I'm doing anything taxing in OSX, like running any Adobe program.

I priced everything out to upgrade to 3 or 4 GB of ram, and then I saw the limit is 2GB.

So my question is, why is 2GB the limit? Is it just what apple says the limit is, or does the logic board just not allow more than 2GB to be read?

And I suppose as a second question, what can I do to speed up my system, if anything?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

This is due to the Chipset not supporting more than 2GB.

TEG

3. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Why don't you try allocating 512mb instead of 1gb to VMware Fusion? I'm doing that on my Yonah based Macbook, and it seems to fly along just fine. I'm even running the VMware image off a USB drive, and performance seems to run along. I use Photoshop, Illustrator, etc, and performance doesn't seem to suffer much.

If you need to improve performance, purchase a Mac Pro. :rolleyes: I used to run a laptop for daily tasks, but after moving to a Mac Pro, it's MUCH faster and much better for productivity. My laptop is mainly used for presentations, working in a different office, etc. You can never beat the desktop + laptop combination. :D

4. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I allocated 512mb to VMWare and it does run better. Thanks.

I wish I could buy a Mac Pro. :drools: Still in college though...