MBP11 or MBP Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ksubi, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Ksubi macrumors member

I know there are similar threads, sorry about that.

As you can see I am new and I'm a 17 year old student. I've been looking into buying a 15 inch MBP for awhile. I've been waiting to see for the 2012 model before buying one.

However, I am still stuck and left clueless on which one I should buy. This is for personal everyday use

I really like the retina, however, my biggest concern is that most applications that I want to install won't look as effective on the retina. These includes google chrome and photoshop cs5 (shhh, but Im using the non genuine version so therefore it cannot be updated for retina, as I will get caught if I update anything)

The thing is, do I really need retina??? I'm not sure. I'm a person who browses on the Internet everyday, goes on Internet social games, YouTube, emailing, photoshopping sometimes (for fun)

As a 17 year old, I don't really mind wasting a lot of money on a MBPS because I have the money for it already.

Im going to college next year and I might need to bring it along at times as well

Please help! Need advice ASAP

----------

2. idufour macrumors member

Buy a 13 MBA and you will be happy! Its all you need!

3. dHk macrumors member

Buy a 2012 macbook 15 thats not retina.

4. Acidsplat macrumors regular

The older designed MBP allows more upgrade options for RAM and storage than the MBP Retina does, if that's what's important to you. You can always get an after market SSD and RAM for cheaper than Apple offers.

But I have a feeling once you see the retina version, you won't want to get the older one.

5. voodoopenguin macrumors newbie

All a matter of preference. Any notebook from their lineup will suit you just fine.

6. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Absolutely do not do this. If you're going to be lugging a laptop around campus, you don't want it to be that clunker. Go for the 13" Air or 15" Retina.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Agreed. For $1299 ($1239 with student discount) you can get a 2012 13" Macbook Air with 8GB Ram. It has the same screen resolution as the non-retina 15" MBP (1440x900). It has an Ivy Bridge processor, USB 3, fast solid state memory, and it's thin and light.

It should easily handle the tasks you have listed and it's way cheaper than the 15" Retina MBP.