MBP13 2.3ghz or 15 2ghz ??????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chirag11, Oct 9, 2011.

1. chirag11 macrumors newbie

Hello maclovers,

I am planning to buy MBP. I am confused between 13 2.3ghz or 15 2ghz.
    i think 13 2.7ghz will not make much difference compare to 2.3ghz in performance

I primary use will be net-surfing, MS office, and photograph editing.
    I take pictures in raw on my canon 500d. I use Photoshop cs5 and Lightroom 3 for editing.

1) should I purchase 13" 2.3 ghz or 15" 2ghz? would 2.3ghz be enough for PS and LR3?

2) when apple is planning to launch late 2011 MBP?

3) some people told me that MBP gets overheat and lion works bit slow, is that true???

4) what about playing some games, like call of duty and NFS???

my first preference would be 13 inch, if it's not compatible with PS and LR then would buy 15".

Chirag

2. jimmie32 macrumors member

jimmie32

1) Either one should be great for your needs.
    2) We don't know. It might just be a small processor bump anyway, again, it's pretty insignificant except for performance numbers...

3) It's not overheating, it's just that it is a little warm - perfectly normal as the MBP's chassis is designed to spread heat (so the inside doesn't get really hot, instead keeping everything warm and stable). Fans might go a little bit loud, but that shouldn't be an issue unless you really hate noise.

Lion is a *little* slower than SL, but it is not going to affect you really bad. I mean, it doesn't affect me and I care about speed. :)

4) For gaming, if you are only doing it occasionally and just for fun (so low-medium details, borderline playable framerates, not-so demanding games, etc), you could go for the 13", but if you care about graphics and want to go for something more powerful, you should go for the 15" 2GHz (the 6490M is much better than the HD 3000), but that won't take you anywhere either.

If you really want to game, you're better off with the 2.2 (6750M) 15", or just a Windows laptop. Again, depends on your needs.

Hope I helped! :)

3. burtjr macrumors newbie

Both have the specs to do what you want, but the size of the screen would slide me toward the 15" When working with photo's I like having as large of a screen as I can get.

4. pingfan59 macrumors member

For photoshop and playing games, get the 15" MBP 2.2ghz. the 6750m 1gb graphics will help.

It is super thin, so you will feel more heat than a windows laptop, I have noticed the heat, but I just prop up the back to make sure it gets adequate airflow at the back vents.

From what has been rumored, the processors will be moved up to like 2.5ghz, etc. So wait a month and get one of those, otherwise the next revision will come next year ( 6months min away )

Now if portability were the question, I did like how small the macbook air seemed.

5. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

One is larger than the other.

Trust me. The processor speed is not the bottleneck when using these applications. It's the hard drive.

Get the 13" and with the savings from the MBP15 get a large external monitor. Portability when you need it and larger screen real estate when you PP photos.

2.3 is plenty.

On a Wednesday. (In the afternoon).

That's why it has fans.

I don't notice any difference in speed using the apps you mention. (vs. Snow Leopard).

A MBP13 with integrated GPU would be the furthest thing from my mind for playing games. You need to decide what's more important.

6. chirag11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Steve's Barber are sure they are launching on Wednesday (In the afternoon)? or you just said like that....lol

7. wicked45 macrumors newbie

I am on the fence between the 2 macbook pro's also. Very curious to when the new macbook pro's will release and what are their specs.

8. dakine17 macrumors newbie

dakine17

15"!!!

I was in the same road as you. I purchased a 15" at first. brought it home, opened it up and just by looking and carrying it. it was too big for my taste. i returned it the next day and bought a 13". had it for about a month, even upgraded the ram to 8GB. but the screen size is just too small. I do alot of photography editing also and details really show on the 15". so i ended up giving my 13" to my gf and buying a 15". no more squinting for me! yes it may be big to lug around and 1 lb really does feel noticeable in a backpack. but after getting used to carrying the 13" around, the 15" didnt feel different afterwards. if your gonna have this laptop for a while and have the latest and greatest in performance, go for the 15".

9. crazee928 macrumors member

i was faced with this decision a month ago - wanted the 15" hi-res for the higher resolution, but at ~$2200 shipped i could get a 13" + 27" display for cheaper (hi-res needed to be ordered from apple which requires sales tax. base 13" could be had from macmall for $1100 shipped).

besides the extra graphics capabilities which i don't need since i don't game on the pc, i think having 2 displays far outweigh a sole 15" screen.

but that's just my opinion.

10. PirateMonkey macrumors member

I went for the 13" for the portability as I'm going to Aus I need to save weight and space for the flight so I figured the 13" would do me just fine, also I find the screen a lot better than my 17" windows laptop it's much brighter and the intel HD 3000 graphics card is so much better than previous models of intel graphics cards, although I haven't tried it at gaming and I don't intend to I would assume light gaming would be fine.

I went for the basic model I upgraded my RAM and HDD with the money I saved, I have 64GB SSD, and 8GB DDR3 RAM, and have just purchased a LaCie 1TB portable HDD so I have ample speed and memory and loads of storage to backup to, I'm notorious for backing up things onto multiple hdd that and I use iCloud too so I've still got over 40GB of storage on the internal SSD.

Overall I think the 13" is just so much better the only thing that nearly made me buy the Air was the resolution of the screen at only 1280 x 800 but then the super drive was a major issue as I would like to use the system as a portable dvd player also so the 13" was preference for me.