MBP13" Headset Choice + HDD Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ShiryuX, Jul 19, 2009.

1. ShiryuX macrumors member

ShiryuX

Hello all,

First post here on macrumor forums after a long while of lurking around for info. I'm posting this here because I'm really confused about the headset I should pick for my MBP13".

Anyways, seeing as the MBP13" only has one jack in port, the choice for a headset (mic and sound in one! Not just headphones) becomes a bit harder.

One thing though: I have iPhone earbuds already which are reported working on them for both mic and sound, but I'd really like a normal headset with something on/around my ears, not in them.
    I need some advice from people on which headset and what type I should buy :
    - A wired headset, USB or does one also exist like the iPhone earbuds I have with both mic and sound (digital I think?)
    - A wireless (bluetooth) headset, I have no idea how these work though but it has to be stereo since I like having good sound quality.

Anyways yeah, you see the basic question. Can anyone recommend me something then? My budget is around 100 euros and links to online shops in Europe (Belgium, shipping costs from US are kind of costy hehe...since this is a US forum anyways:p) are alot more useful if these can be provided.
    Just saying which model/brand I should go for helps too :)

Thanks alot!!

EDIT: Also need help with the HDD for my MBP. I didn't order yet but the order might be soon in a store near me. I'm wondering if I should opt for the 320gb stock drive (100$ more so it's costy) or find a seperate hard drive (which?)

WD Scorpio Blue reported alot of clicking and sound coming from it, especially from the newer macbooks with extended battery life. I really don't want something as annoying as that all the time. Performance-wise I think 5400rpm is enough, but any suggestions are welcome. I also noticed that the WD Scorpio Blue 500gb costs about 90€ which is 10€ more than the stock 320gb drive. Hence I'm wondering if anyone can tell me some info about the new stock drives in the MBPs: do they make a clicking sound or whirr alot?

Thanks again! (Hopefully the bump isn't a problem)

2. ShiryuX thread starter macrumors member

ShiryuX

Bumping my topic, but looking at the Forum Rules this one is hopefully allowed seeing as I am asking a new problem too and figured that making a completely new topic isn't worth it (or allowed for that matter).

Basically next to my headset question, I'm also upgrading the stock ram (there's no real trouble there, but anyone can specify a brand I should get which is affordable and doesn't cost 200$ like the apple store asks me?) I'm also looking for a SILENT HDD. All the better if the HDD is 500gb, but if it's 320gb and therefore silent instead of 500gb with noise, I'd make do with it. 320gb is more than enough for games and movies ;)

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

See if you can pick up a Griffin SmartTalk in Europe, I use one with various headphone/earphones and my MBP.

As far as HDD I'd suggest replacing the drive yourself with an aftermarket drive and also buy an external enclosure so you can use the stock drive for additional storage or back-up.

4. ShiryuX thread starter macrumors member

ShiryuX

Heh thanks, I'll look into it, but I guess I sort of forgot to mention I'm looking for one that's just a regular headset with mic. I already have iPhone earbuds and it seems to me that that jack (SmartTalk) seems to do the same thing as any other headphone, just adding a mic to it.

It is useful, but isn't there just a regular one with the mic near mouth? (Adjustable, not hanging) Mostly those don't have any problems or high pitched sounds...Although the Smarttalk sure is an easy add-on to regular headphones :)
    (Basically let's say I have regular over-the-ear headphones. I plug that into the Griffin SmartTalk and then the Griffin SmartTalk into my MBP headphone jack. Gives me instantly the sound of regular headphones+a mic?)
    I just checked a review, says the microphone gain is a bit low on the Griffin SmartTalk. I guess it's still a viable option but for regular use I'd still like a normal headset

I'm picky I know, but I really like the normal type of headsets. Trying to keep my options open :). Anyone can recommend anything else?

Thanks already though for the tip cyclingplatypus!

Also, the HDD : the problem lies in noise as I said, I'd have gone with a WD Blue Scorpio but people have been reporting alot of noise coming from them especially in the june 2009 macbooks (the one I'm planning to buy) =/ I don't want something which will make me go crazy with ticking. Do the normal stock drives tick or make alot of noise?