MBP13": Mini DisplayPort to DVI + DVI to VGA ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by G4-power, Jul 28, 2009.

1. G4-power macrumors 6502

G4-power

Hi! I have a new MBP 13", and I was wondering is it possible to use a Mini DisplayPort to DVI -adapter and a DVI-VGA adapter combined? Or is it just the safest way to buy both of the Mini DisplayPort -adapters (to DVI and VGA) separately, even though I would have an extra DVI to VGA adapter. Thanks for any help provided on the subject.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Just use a mDP -> VGA.
    What you have stated won't work because DVI is a digital signal whereas VGA is analog. Using a mDP -> DVI adapter will only send the digital signal.

3. m3kilpat macrumors regular

You're pretty much stating that a DVI -> VGA adapter will not work, but I'm pretty sure they do since they are made.

Theoretically the mDP -> DVI -> VGA should work, but I haven't tried it so I cannot say for sure.

4. G4-power thread starter macrumors 6502

G4-power

That's what I thought, if anyone's tried.
    It's probably just about if the computer recognises through two adapters that what kind of signal it should be sending...

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

A DVI -> VGA cable will work as long as the DVI port can output an analog signal, which is the case with any Mac with a DVI port. The mDP -> DVI adapter only outputs a digital signal, so a DVI -> VGA cable will NOT work.

6. G4-power thread starter macrumors 6502

G4-power

Just looked at Apple's webpage and found out the same thing, the mDP to DVI is only DVI-D, so that's it. Thanks for the help.

7. m3kilpat macrumors regular

Oic. Sorry for misunderstanding what you meant. It all makes sense now.