MBP13 - Pulling the trigger, need advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sciencia, Feb 24, 2011.

  1. Sciencia macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2010
    #1
    Years waiting for a good MBP13 and in need of a laptop right now. I'm buying the MBP13, thought about the MBA13 but it just isn't enough for me, lots of programming, photoshop... I have already an iMac i7 but I do need a good horse laptop for mobility. My question now is, how much difference between the entry and high level, it looks like it is only the processor (really don't mind the HDD size) and a would like to ask a better insight of those two processors, max turbo speed for the i5 for example.

    I'm deciding between the MBP13 - i5 with 128GB SSD or MBP13 - i7 500GB HDD.

    Please really need help... have both laptops in my cart and ready to exclude one and go!
     
  2. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Location:
    England
    #2

    I would think in most use the i5 with the SSD will feel quicker, but in outright processing like encoding video etc the i7 will be stronger. Tough call.
     
  3. Sciencia thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2010
    #3
    How much stronger?

    Tks for the input man. Really having a hard time to decide... but how much stronger do you thing is that difference between the processors?

    I could get the high end and get a SSD afterwords if the difference is really something...
     
  4. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Location:
    England
    #4
    Not sure, we should see some benchmarks posted soon as the apple retail stores seem to have lots of mixed spec MBP's in stock (usual BTO stuff)
     
  5. Clunge macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    #5
    My plan; get the i7 13", stick an extra 4GB of RAM in it and then whack an SSD in it when Lion is released and start fresh then :).
     
  6. Sciencia thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2010
    #6
    The problem is that I'm leaving for a trip next week and need the laptop right now.... it is been really hard to hold it... Did you get yours 15 or 17? Or still waiting?
     
  7. Sciencia thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2010
    #7
    It does sound like a good way to go. I'm just trying not to spend money in something that may won't be a big leap in power.
     
  8. Clunge macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    #8
    I'd go with the i7/standard HDD.

    Apple's SSDs aren't much cop and by the time Lion is out (assuming you're planning to upgrade), there will be even better SSDs around at a lower price.

    + You'll have to do a complete reinstall anyways so it doesn't make much odds either way.
     
  9. Sciencia thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 27, 2010
    #9
    i7 it is. Waiting for the baby now....

    Thanks for helping.
     

Share This Page