MBP13" superdrive amazingly slow

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dmelgar, Sep 6, 2009.

1. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I just purchased a brand new Macbook Pro 13" as an upgrade to my 3 yr old original series Macbook.

Generally happy with the machine... except the superdrive. It is amazingly slow at everything. It is significantly slower than the 3yr old CD burner in my old Macbook.

Do I have a defective drive or are they all this slow?

Its practically unusably slow. I always try to use it, give up and use an external drive instead. Since its worthless, I wish I could remove it and use the space for something else and save the weight and battery power.

I originally tried to compress a DVD eager to see how much faster the new macbook pro would be. To my surprise it was much slower than the 3yr old Macbook. The culprit is the slow reading speed of the superdrive.

All reads are amazingly slow.

Just now I'm trying to copy photos from a CD. It reads at a little over 1MB/sec. I gave up, popped it in my LG blu-ray burner. The LG BD drive was able to read the CD at 5MB/sec. Finder reported 3 minutes to copy vs. 13minutes with the superdrive.

2. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

i'd just take it back to apple and describe the problem you will get a replacment or you could just optibay it (google that)

3. dmelgar thread starter macrumors 68000

I can't tell if there's anything wrong with the superdrive. It may just be a slow design. Thats why I was asking.

Optibay sounds like an interesting option, but it seems expensive at $129 for basically a bent piece of metal to hold a hard drive in place of the super drive.