MBP15 2011 modding thoughts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d0vr, Apr 30, 2011.

1. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Just purchased a MBP 15" in the past few months. First mac ever and I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed. Way too many hangs on things as simple as saving a dreamweaver file (color wheel thing). Plus huge issue with the screen etc. Anyway, I need some thoughts on upgrading the SD.

I'm thinking either go with a SSD/Normal drive combo and replace the super drive with a hard drive. Might help speed wise running apps of an SSD. Or two SSD's, one for windows one for OSX. Or alternatively, try and fine a suitable bluray drive to replace the SD (don't mind waiting for a suitable drive if there isn't one on the market already).

Bit of background, I do web/graphic design and am slowly getting into audio stuff.

I guess what I need opinions on is which is better, external vs. internal bluray drive, and external vs. internal hard drives? Also, what do people use bootcamp for (why have windows)?

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I have Windows to run the few apps that aren't native to OS X (an Amiga emulator and Unreal Tournament 2004). I also prefer Windows Office 2010 to Mac Office.

My other apps (Bryce, Poser, Photoshop, Logic Studio, etc, are OS X).

A Mac Pro (desktop) can have blu ray drives. Imacs and Macbooks need external drives.

What version of OS X do you use? Click on the Apple logo on the upper-left corner then click 'About this Mac'. Make sure it's up to date (10.6.7).

What issue with the screen are you having?

3. d0vr thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm used both trials of iworks and office, on the mac I definitely prefer microsoft office! Not sure about windows vs osx version yet..

Why do macbooks NEED external drives sorry? Just because there aren't internal ones small enough yet or some other issue?

OSX version is up to date. 10.6.7

Screen issue, oh it was just a dead pixel. Thankfully the guy was happy to replace it, but it was replaced with a standard screen, and I had a hi-res now. All back to my hi-res now but was still difficult taking it in a few times more than a new computer should be taken in! :)

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

An external Blu-ray drive. Apple decided the licensing costs for the Blu-Ray technology aren't worth it. I don't agree with Apple regarding that, but external drives can be found, if one really needs Blu-ray. As a rule, Macbooks don't need external drives. Blu-Ray is the sole exception.

I too prefer MS Office. (I've used iWorks, MS Office for Mac and MS Office for Windows.) But freedom of choice is good.

Sorry to hear about the dead pixel. Manufacturing defects can occur, even under the best of conditions. And that can happen to any brand. That's way-cool you got the higher-res screen in return. The higher-res screen is usually a premium option. I think that's part of their way of apologizing for what you endured.

What version of Dreamweaver do you use? Have you downloaded the latest update for it? (You might have, but the basic questions have to be asked first. :) ) I'm not sure why it's beachballing (the color ball) under a basic operation such as a file save...

Hold off on SSDs until Lion comes out... They're nice, but I've had write problems with them on Windows-based PCs - it's a newer technology and expensive ($200 for 80GB SSD vs $100 for 500GB HDD at 7200RPM...). Intel finally put out a patch that fixed all my drive's speed issues (X-25m, 80GB), but that was from a few months ago. (that might also explain your file save problem with Dreamweaver, if you're using an SSD right now.)

5. d0vr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I know there is no apple supplied way of getting a bluray drive, I was thinking a third party might have found a drive that fits.

Should have been more clear about the screen. I purchased a high res in the first place and it came with one. the original high res had a dead pixel though. The guy at apple was kind enough to say hey, one dead pixel is too many as far as he's concerned (as he should have imo), and got it replaced. But it was replaced with a normal screen. So I had to take it back in to get replaced again (three screens so far woo). Nothing to show for the mishap (other than priority service the second time round).

CS5, fully updated. Normal 7200rpm (from apple) drive. Beachballs regardless of if I'm saving to webdav drive or my physical drive.

Thanks for the advice to hold off until lion. Sounds like I should just hold off altogether and wait till things get cheaper. Btw, is lion really going to be more like iOS? I did bot buy a pro device for it to become better for mr stupid user. :(