MBP15 frozen after opening closed lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slobizman, Aug 25, 2009.

1. slobizman macrumors member

Just recently, maybe for a week or two, after closing the lid on my MBP15, and long enough for it to go to sleep (set for 15 min), when I open the lid it is completely frozen. I can see the display on whereever I left it, but I can't do anything, no keys respond. Even the Caps Lock key light won't go on and off when pressed. So, I have to power off and on.

I thought perhaps it had something to do with the Firefox/Flash problem that causes huge CPU usage, but I uninstalled the Flash plugin in FF which seems to have fixed it. But the computer freezes up even with FF not running.

I do remember a firmware update I was asked to perform about a week ago. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Any ideas? Any other reports of this?

2. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

Rats, I thought maybe someone else had this problem.

Some more input: last night I closed the lid and this morning I opened it up and yes, it was frozen again. And it was VERY hot. After shutting down and bringing back up, it's running cool again. Something is still running hard when it freezes.

And I did not have Firefox running. Tonight I'll try closing the lid with absolutely nothing running to see what happens.

This really sucks.

3. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

Here's more information. I just had the lid closed for about 5-6 hours, but I closed down all programs prior to that. No problem. Came right up and was nice and cool.

I'll be back to talk with myself a bit later with more information.

4. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

Hello me.

Okay, I just closed my lid for 5-10 minutes. And only had Safari running. It froze and I had to reboot it.

5. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

6. slobizman thread starter macrumors member

Thank you slobizman!!

That fixed it. I knew I could get help here!