MBP15 or MBA11+desktop PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yinmay, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Yinmay macrumors regular

I've got a 2009 MBP 13 and it's great for everything I use it for, except gaming.

My options are:
    - MBP15 2.2 ATI6750 SSD after student discount: $2089
    - MBA11 4GB 128GB ($1239) + desktop PC ($800): $2039

Cons of the MBP15 option: cumbersome to carry around and too big for coach plane seats?
    Cons of the MBA option: refresh is coming soon? and can't play when not at home

Side note: I promised my laptop to my brother in repayment of $500 he transferred a couple months ago. In other words, keeping my MBP13 is not an option.

Many thanks.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I would wait on the MBA as they are likely to get sandy bridge updates. The 13 in MBA actually has more resolution than the 13 in MBP but alas it's the Intel chipset. Geekbench places the slowest MBP at more than double the score of the fastest MBA. I thought about an MBA as a portable machine but I already have an iPad so I will probably go for the 15 in MBP when I can afford it.

What desktop are you considering at only $800? Not a windows box :eek: ?!?

;)

I notice the Minis have Nvidia graphics but they probably don't geekbench very well. If you're into gaming, faster geekbench scores generally translate into a better gaming experience.

So I'd say the 15 in MBP is your best bet since you can't wait for a MBA refresh.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

an SSD isn't going to give you enough space for games, you'd want an external...

Personally, unless you plan on gaming on the go, I'd get the desktop + MBA combo. Added bonus: You can add storage to the PC really really easy.

4. Yinmay thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, since I'll basically only use it for games, it's the only way to get an affordable yet decently powerful computer.

I agree the new MBA should be great but I'm tired of waiting. Suppose I decide to buy now and change my mind later, how much can I hope to resell the $2090 MBP15 for this summer?

5. Yinmay thread starter macrumors regular

I'm currently using 40GB of my 160GB drive (without any game installed). I think 128GB should be enough.

Or I could get the default drive instead and update later when 256GB SSDs become cheaper.

Really my only concern about the MBP15 is mobility. It fits in the same backpack I had bought for my 13" but it takes more room everywhere else.

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Macs hold on to their value really well. I suggest you check ebay "completed listings only" for 15 in MBP listings to get an idea what the values are for used machines versus refurbs from apple versus new. If you end up getting $1900 for it in the summer, then it cost you roughly $200 to "rent" the 15 in MBP until the one you really want comes out. It's almost never a good to buy in a hurry. Ask the person who is waiting for your 13 in machine to give you a little more time and see if you can hold out until the new 'airs are announced. If you are only using 40 gig now, you are definitely a candidate for a MBA provided you can live with the graphics and cpu speed. 40 gig. Wow. Must be nice to have so little data to worry about.

7. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah if you want to game the best option would probably be the 11" MBA and a desktop pc.. graphics cards get outdated pretty quickly and you can't change them in a MBP, and the MBA will be a lot more portable and more of a pleasure to use on flights etc. [​IMG]