MBP16,1: Random Red Dots UI

bsbeamer

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Has anyone else noticed random red dots throughout the UI with MBP16,1? It's especially apparent with Safari on MBP16,1. Truly random and usually disappears with window movement or minimization. Certainly seems to be another AMD 5XXX series driver issue. Reminds me a lot of the NVIDIA Web Driver black bar issues back in High Sierra and previous.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Has anyone else noticed random red dots throughout the UI with MBP16,1? It's especially apparent with Safari on MBP16,1. Truly random and usually disappears with window movement or minimization. Certainly seems to be another AMD 5XXX series driver issue. Reminds me a lot of the NVIDIA Web Driver black bar issues back in High Sierra and previous.
I've noticed artifacts present on my 2019 MBA after doing something in Safari that causes the "Safari is using significant power" message. Relaunching Safari seems to resolve the issue.

nortonandreev

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2016
Sheffield, United Kingdom
I have been having that for few years now, both on my 15' and 16' MacBook Pros. It's not specific to the new 16'.

Reactions: me55

tdbrown75

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2015
Dallas, TX
Yes I'm getting these too. 2019 MacBook Pro 16" running Catalina 10.15.5 in Dark Mode. Seen it twice in about a week, when using the MacBook screen/Intel UHD Graphics.

Noticed once in Mail, and once in Safari.

Like you said seems truly random and usually disappears with window movement or minimization. Next time it happens I'll grab a screen capture.

Tim

Reactions: me55

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Yeah I’ve seen this issue as well. I usually see it when browser windows (Firefox in my case) touch the menu bar while in dark mode. I’ve only seen it on machines with discrete graphics even though the discrete graphics may not be active. I don’t see it on my 2020 13” MBP. I was able to make the issue go away by changing the color of the browser toolbar. I don’t notice the issue when MacOS is in light mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.