MBP16 - Battery Max capacity dropped to 96% in 3 months (33 charge cycles)

jeyf

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2009
sorry about your situation

you might try a few resets and see if you can get 100%
usually apple has a few super secret low level resets, do those too

depending on the battery technology you might want to let the computer significantly discharge the battery
there is a battery life remaining# = ??

this is a new MBP so YES i would be worried

Honza1

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2013
US
Ignore it. On my MBP 2017, just during the last about month, the reported capacity varied randomly between 97 and 100% - while I went through battery cycles 34-43. Today happens to be 98%. And I started - when new - with capacity above 100% (like 102-103%). These reported capacities are best guess calculations and variation by few % is normal.
Usually, the capacity drops somehow early (and this is early), stabilizes and eventually drops at the end of life.

thuanlt692

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
sorry it's not relate to MBP 16".
But my MBP 15" 2019 have the same issue.
Any body know the value of Design Capacity and Full Charge Capacity?
Thanks

sat24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2019
sorry about your situation

you might try a few resets and see if you can get 100%
usually apple has a few super secret low level resets, do those too

depending on the battery technology you might want to let the computer significantly discharge the battery
there is a battery life remaining# = ??

this is a new MBP so YES i would be worried
I am going to do a full discharge this weekend and then a full charge + 2hrs on power and recheck.

khalitzy

macrumors member
May 21, 2016
how’s it now? I have the same issue on my 16” except that it’s never stayed at 99% like yours did, it was 99% out of the box then dropped to around 95% at 36 cycles

Honza1

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2013
US
You do realize, that all what various rests and discharge cycles do is fixing the way MBP reads the battery (calibration) and not fixing/improving battery life? It is important to have good read of battery so computer does not shut down early, but you are not fixing the battery capacity. Just the read out on the screen...

Battery cannot improve, it degrades with use. Improvement would be against the laws of chemistry of current batteries ;-)
(well, not completely true, early cycle or two can "form" the battery and do have impact on battery life, but these should be done in factory).

Few years ago I had battery, which showed 100% charged and quite high capacity and when discharged to ~30%, died. Calibration was lying, the reality was 70% battery capacity in real life, at most.

jeyf

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2009
no need for a civics lesson on how the interWeb works, right?
4example:
i bought a 2017 butterfly MBP in late 2016. It was all about "how i held the keyboard" till Apple lost the class action law suite. Apple did free warranty repair but replaced the existing kb with the same failed design.

good luck