MBP16 Bootcamp reliability?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eulslix, Dec 17, 2016.

1. eulslix macrumors member

I have a question to all of you. My current employer insists on buying me an office notebook. I'm basically doing research and development in the fields of Computer Graphics, mainly utilising WPF and DirectX based technologies, due to the requirements of the clients. This means, that I'm stuck to Windows for development, up until now on a desktop machine.

I'm doing this job part time. I spend the rest of my time on movie production. As my 2013 13" MBP doesn't cut it anymore, I'll be upgrading to the 2016 15" MBP next month. Now, I don't want to lug around two notebooks all of the time, so I offered my employer to use my private notebook for work, with a dedicated Bootcamp partition. In return, my employer is willing to contribute financially to the purchase. However, I need to be sure, that Bootcamp won't lead to any unexpected issues in development.

So far, I've never had issues with Bootcamp. Do you know of any potential problems I might run into when programming in Visual Studio on Bootcamp, compared to a "native" Windows experience?

I'm also concerned about the MBPs lifetime, due to the increased workload on Windows (dGPU always on, higher CPU load) leading to increased thermal activity and battery drain. I'm thinking about utilising this program (http://efmer.com/b/) to tackle this issue, as the notebook my employer was willing to buy would've been way less powerful anyways. Am I overthinking this?

2. dk808 macrumors 6502a

Remember to have headphones plugged in when first installing windows. Theres a bootcamp issue where the audio drivers break the speakers. They fixed it through an update