MBP17" - Is there likely to be update at WWDC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by incka, May 4, 2009.

1. incka macrumors newbie

Hi.

I'm wanting to get a Unibody MBP17" (matte screen, 7200 HDD, applecare).

Yet I hear rumours of update to MBP at this event. I have a feeling this is just battery and therefore is likely to be not the 17", in which case waiting does not make sense.

I am a 'switcher', my current PC is a laptop which has to function as a desktop due to a broken screen. I'm in pretty desperate need of a laptop due to being a student and taking unreadable notes on paper currently. I'm also a web-developer, my main uses of computers are programs such as Dreamweaver, Photoshop, MSOffice (inc entourage/outlook), Firefox, FTP programs. I'm likely to install VMWare on new laptop. If that gives you any idea of if it's worth me waiting for any speed updates.

Thanks in advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think the updates will be major, and it's not like the current 17" are going to run any slower if there are minor updates. If you need it, it's definitely not worth waiting for.

3. incka thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for quick reply - very helpful to confirm my thoughts that any upgrades will probably be minor.

I have the machine all configured in my basket ready for more confirmation that it is a good time to buy now.

Any more opinions quick please?

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Anything upgraded would be minor. Processor bump is quite likely, but we're talking from 2.66 GHz up to 2.8 GHz. Nothing amazing. They could also bump the graphics card to a GT 130M (or similar), but again, it's not really significant. If you're a student, the Back to School with a free iPod starts soon, otherwise, it's not worth the wait.

5. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

You would only be waiting a few weeks at this point - I would just wait and see what happens.

Maybe SL gets an early release, maybe not. Maybe a speed bump, GF upgrade, change in the color of the anti glare bezel. Who knows - but since it is so close you have nothing to lose by waiting, but if you buy and a change you want is made then your impatience cost you.

6. incka thread starter macrumors newbie

I really can't see anything big coming though. Only slight upgrades. From the announcement to being in stock is likely to be two weeks, hence I'd be waiting one and a half months - it would be very useful now to have the laptop due to revision etc. I think I shall order now, I doubt I will regret slight upgrades to processor, etc. The machine runs at an amazing speed anyway, at least ones in the showrooms, and 320gb of HDD while not perfect isn't bad when you have a 1TB external HDD for the files you don't need often.

7. didb macrumors member

i heard about 3G ability. if it's going to be true, i don't know. i'd love to see it but will probably get a mbp this week anyways. i just need it. my old windows laptop took a sh**.

8. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I also expect a HDD bump.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

To what? 10,000 Terrabyte Super neuron hyper mega quantum drives?

[​IMG]

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I thought they were getting away from announcing updates at shows again and going back to the special event model.

11. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

lol

I agree with the members that have posted "no update."

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Never mind, I forgot the last HDD bump was in late 2008 (I thought it was early 2008).

I'm thinking the week before WWDC…

13. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

Then it looks like you have your mind made up.

14. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Only reason to wait like others have mentioned would be for the free iPod deal but other than that get it and enjoy it.

16. indiecraig macrumors member

You seem pretty determined that the smaller Macbooks won't be updated any time soon, despite the fact they are past their average update times and updates have been rumored. Do you have some inside knowledge? Or are you just kidding yourself because you have a UMBP and want it to stay the latest and greatest?

To the OP: The 17" unibody only started shipping mid-Feb, so it's still pretty new (less than three months). I wouldn't expect updated for another 3 months or more. The comment above is referring to the 13" and 15" models.

17. iMacmatician macrumors 601

On many occasions, those who are so sure end up wrong.

If Apple waits until Nehalem, then it'll be Q3 2009 for the MacBook Pros and Q4 2009 for the MacBooks at the very earliest. We may not see notebook updates in June, but I'm pretty sure they'll be here in the summer for the whole lineup.

18. fokket macrumors regular

Why is June update so unlikely? no one is saying Apple's going to come out with Nehalem, 16GB RAM, 1TB SDD.

19. Marvin1379 macrumors 6502

As it seems we have this exact conversation at least weekly just with a different product, if u need it now, get it. If u aren't pressed for time, then wait and see if anything comes out of it.

And usually minor bumps aren't announced. They just show up on the store page.