MBP17: matte vs. glossy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by philips, Feb 16, 2009.

1. philips macrumors regular

philips

Hi All!

[ Sorry if it is a dead horse of a topic - but I couldn't find any relevant thread here :confused: ]

Can anybody share his experience with matte and glossy screens? Which one is better suited for what kind of work? environments?

I'm planning to buy MBP17 and kind of undecided. I'm planning to use the MBP17 mainly as desktop replacement at home: watching movies, probably some gaming, some of photo viewing/development/editing and pet *nix project coding. I also sometimes use laptop during trips.

Narrower viewing angle is not a problem to me. I often stare at screen for hours and whatever unexpected happens on screen distracts me greatly (why I actually first thought of pre-ordering matte screen option).

If anybody has any experience, please share.

BTW, which screen is better with dimmed backlight?

2. icanboogie macrumors regular

icanboogie

hi,
    if you refer to the new glossy screens of the unibodys: the matte option is way better if you dim the backlightning. on the glassy/glossy screens, the reflections appear very easily ( if you do not sit in the dark) with only a few drops in brightness.

on the glossy displays of the early 2008 mbp (and on the macbook air), they are very well dimmed, even quite far dimmed.

the gloss on the new unibodys may looks nice, but if you plan to travel a lot, I would suggest to go for the matte version. it is still a very nice screen, also to watch movies on.

I think for travelling, two things are crucial: dimming the screen for saving energy, and also reducing reflections in the daylight, eg. when sitting in a train or elsewhere. both speak for matte.

but if you think about an early 2008 mbp, the glossy screen is very fine in daylight as well, as it has some anti-glare-coating which makes it much more resistable to reflections than the new, unibody screens.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think that's when you'll really notice the disadvantage of a glossy screen. I travel a lot, and when I was travelling in China recently, I couldn't even see my screen while sitting on a train. I had an aisle seat (not the window seat, but the light coming from the side window completely blocked 30% of my screen. I could read it if I rotated my laptop towards my left, but then I couldn't type properly. :rolleyes:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You couldn't find any relevant thread?????

As Tallest Skil has recommended, use MRoogle to search the MR forums. It finds many things missed by the standard forum search. However, something as over-discussed as "Matte vs Glossy" can be found easily with the forum search: http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=14761768

Current count: 137 threads, 2,841 comments, 253,050 views

6. philips thread starter macrumors regular

philips

Thanks for your opinion! Though traveling isn't primary focus for me, still to have a notebook ready for traveling makes a lot of sense.

OK. I see. I honestly was surprised that I couldn't find anything. It's a LetMeGoogleThatForYou.com type of thing ;)

7. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

I think you get just as much reflection of a matte screen as you do a glossy screen, its not like being matte your getting less light reflected because thats impossible, whats reflected is just diffused giving the reflections a wider area so they appear less. Glossy has more reflections, however it has sharp ones, but when theres a light shining on a matte screen its more annoying.