Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Granny-Smith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Hi all, I have a 15" Macbook Pro 2006 1.83ghz 1gbram Snow Leopard OS computer. I am simply wondering as I embark on the medical school journey (powerpoints, video lectures, large documents) whether I should upgrade the ram to 2gb (max allowed) and go with that until this thing dies of natural causes -OR- it would be advised to just jump to a new performance level and get either a 2010 15"MBP or 2011 13"MBP.

The only things to keep in mind is that (1)I'm not financially constrained so any model/upgrade is on the table and (2)I don't know how to install 2gb of ram, nor know where to get it...so it would be an ordeal/adventure.

Why not just buy a new one? I really would, but I need some extrinsic justification for passing on a functioning and dutifully loyal computer.

Does anyone know if I should see a significant performance boost from this
ram upgrade alone?

Thanks

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
It sounds like you could get on with your current computer just fine for another year or two. No need to unnecessarily buy a new computer, I say go from the RAM upgrade, it's extremely simple with your Mac! :)

Turn off the computer, pop the two latches on the bottom and take out the battery. Then unscrew the three screws and remove the cover and the RAM is right there. Remove the old RAM and install the new RAM. (You will need to push hard on the new RAM to get it in, just a forewarning incase you've never installed RAM before)

Granny-Smith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks so much (and the links! even better)

Will do exactly this and hold on til the end.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
2G will help, but unfortunately not enough... Snow leopard with all the modern apps (and powerpoint especially) really needs 4 to be running nicely.

Given that you are not financially constrained, go for a shiny new machine... you'll derive a sufficient amount of joy from one. Also, with you being in lecture halls and presumably "on the go" all the time like most students, you'll really like the new battery life.

5 years is plenty long for a computer... time for a new one!

as for picking which one... first decide on 15 or 13, it's totally a personal choice (though i got a feeling you won't like the 13's resolution coming from a 15). If you decide on a 13, then get a 2011... get the best model you don't mind paying for. If a 15, again go for the one you're most happy paying for; if you want to save a few bucks, you can get a 2010 2.4 i5 for 1269 at the apple refurb store, which is a real steal. Any other 2010 model is just not worth the savings IMHO.

you won't regret it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.