MBP5,1 issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Killerbob, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I have an older MacBook Pro (late-2008 / 2.53Ghz / 4GB / 320GB HD) which I am starting to have some probloems with:

1) It takes forever to boot. From "power on" to login it takes 52 seconds. The grey screen is the slowest, and now the mouse even shows up before the login screen comes on. This seems a lot slower than it used to, but I can't say when it started acting this slow.

2) Sometimes when there is nothing really going on, just surfing internet for instance, the fans start running at 4-5K RPM. The temp on the CPU is around 50-60 degrees (checked with iStat Pro). They runs fast for a minute or two, and then slow down to their normal 2K RPM. I installed smcFanControl, and that's helped a bit.

I reset the SMC and the PRAM. I upgraded to 10.8.2 and now 10.8.3. I ran the cleanup parts of Onyx. Still I am having these two issues.

Am I just too used to my MBA and newer MBP, or do I have a fixable problem:confused:

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

You could just be too used to the new Macs (MBA and MBP).

One important thing to keep in mind, that as the OS and software advances, it will become more demanding. This is one possible reason for the fans and slow start up time. The best way to combat this is to upgrade to a SSD and add RAM.

3. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're probably right, but I want to continue using the older 5,1, and I guess changing the HDD to an SSD and getting an 8GB RAM kit isn't too much of an expense :eek:

4. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

I upgraded to 8GB RAM, and replaced the HDD with an SSD, and it is much much faster. Still bugging me though is the fan speed. After a few minutes of doing pretty much all of nothing, the fans speed up to 4-5K and it goes on like this for a few minutes. They finally come down to perhaps 2-2.5K which is acceptable.

I do not have the GeForce 9600 activated, and the laptop is certainly not sitting in a warm place.

/Bo