MBPr 13" 2015 fan off at idle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keviig, Mar 18, 2015.

1. keviig, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

keviig macrumors 6502

I just got my 2015 rMBP 13" 2.9 GHz, 8gb, 256gb.
    I noticed that istat read my fan speed at 0rpm. So i ran a stress test to make it start, and sure it did, and istat read the rpm properly. However, once it cooled down again the rpm reading went down to 0 again.

Has Apple implemented fan shutdown at idle without telling us? Or is there something strange with my computer? Can anyone with 13" 2015 check it to confirm?

2. diesel macrumors 6502a

I have a 2015 rMBP and according to istat menu my fan is at 0 rpm as well when idle. With that said, istat menu isn't fully functional for the new 2015 MacBooks (for example temp sensors are not available for the cpu). Istat menu dev is aware and is working on an update. So I'm not sure if the new machines really idle with no fan on or istat isn't accurate in this area for the new MacBooks. I know that my previous 2014 mid year rMBP idled around 1300 rpm.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the fans should always be on, but only spin faster as required to maintain safe operating temps. It's more likely that your readings are wrong than the fan actually stopping. It could be a software issue with the app, or a faulty sensor.

4. keviig thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it might be down to the software. However it wouldn't be that far off to think that the new CPUs were efficient enough at idle to work within safe temps without the fan spinning. The GTX980 card i have in my desktop has the fans stop completely unless i'm playing a game by default.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is the case with the new MacBook, which doesn't even have a fan, but all other Mac models have fans that are always spinning when the computer is on.

6. charea macrumors newbie

I don't have a Mac yet, but on the Vaio Z I have, fans go off completely when it's runnning cool. And it has the same Haswell CPU as the Mac Air.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All of the Mac models that have fans leave them running all the time the Mac is turned on. Just because another computer has the same CPU doesn't mean the overall design is the same.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

So I take it we are all guessing and no one knows for sure if the new rMPB 13" actually stops its fans?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No guessing required. All Macs that have fans have them running all the time the Mac is turned on. That includes the new rMBP 13".

10. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Yes.

11. charea macrumors newbie

I received the rMBP 13" 2015 yesterday, and I confirm it's absolutely silent most of the time. I watched HD videos, transferred 600GB of files on SSD, and done some web browsing with no fan noise. Noise became apparent only when launching a videogame (Age of Empires III).

I guess Broadwell has raised the bar on thermal efficiency. Now if you could recommend me a free app I could test actual fan speeds in more detail.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with recent OS X versions. You can download it here.

13. charea macrumors newbie

Just installed and it says 0rpm. Went to around 2500rpm when playing a game.

14. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

can confirm, no air flowing, zero noise unless under load....seems time to shrink the case

15. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

I just tested this with Macs Fan Control. Nice tool by the way. And it's free.

Automatic control: Fan has 0 rpm and the temperature of Core 0 is mostly between 50°C and 55°C with very light use.

Constant RPM value: Fan constantly has 1300 rpm, the temperature of Core 0 is between 48°C and 55°C. Not much difference to the 0 rpm setting.

Constant RPM value: Fan constantly has 3000 rpm, the temperature of Core 0 is between 40°C and 50°C. This does make a difference, but you can hear the fan spinning. Again, very light use.

16. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

That's it.

Your Fan is most likely running at constant 1300 rpm while idle or light work (-as the late 2013/2014 ones). At this speed you won't hear anything. The 0 rpm reading is most likely software bug (or they have to figure out how to access the fan reading sensor in the 2015 models; maybe it's different from the 13/14 models).

17. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Maybe. However, two different apps report the same values. :)

18. brosenz macrumors regular

brosenz

I've tested the 0 rpm situation with iStat 5.1, Macs Fan Control 1.2.1, TG Pro 2.6 and smcFanControl 2.5 and they all show the fan speed = 0 rpm, if I ramp up the CPU usage by using Geekbench 3 it can get up to 6,200 rpm with a CPU temperature of 62C. I do not think all 4 apps are wrong, the new rMBP runs at 0 rpm when idle.

19. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Who is willing to open the rMBP and looks at the fan inside while running? ;)

20. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

It's a fairly easy laptop to open. If someone's willing to check it'd definitely be appreciated I imagine.

With that said, I could definitely believe that it runs at 0RPM - the new chips run very cool and are incredibly power efficient. I have a friend actually who just recently built himself a fanless desktop PC and has had no issues.