MBPr 13" 2015 screen replacement experience

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by consumeritis, Dec 23, 2015.

1. consumeritis macrumors member

After reading all the threads from people worrying about various problems I just thought I would share my recent experience with Apple repairs.

My Mac is about 8 months old. Over the last month or so I've gone from using it occasionally to using it all the time. And now that I'm looking at the screen more I noticed two dark spots that only showed up on a bright background. Of course once you see the imperfection you can't unsee it!

I wasn't sure if they were dead pixels or scratches or what. So I booked into the Genius Bar. Booking online was almost impossible - I had to stay up past midnight and pick the latest possible appointment.

Yesterday I went in and spoke to the dude in the store, and he had a look and said it wasn't a scratch. There must be something stuck under the glass of the screen. He checked the machine in for a screen replacement straight away with no quibbles.

They had the panel in stock but I was expecting to wait at least a week, given it's Christmas. However I got the call this morning that it was all done and ready to pick up! All done in just one day, my Mac is back with all my data intact and a new screen. Typing on it now and I can't see any dark spots at all (touch wood).

Other than booking the appointment, the whole thing was really easy and just really great customer service on Apple's part. Not sure if any other company has the resources to do similar - being able to just drop into the store and speak to someone who can fix your problem was great.

For anyone interested, the quote for the screen replacement (I'm in the UK) came to £281, but I paid nothing as I was still in warranty.

2. Alexrat1996 Suspended

nice I also have a macbook pro 13 inch 2015 i got it 8 months ago

3. khaosuser macrumors member

khaosuser

Nice!

I had a similar experience as well.

My 3 year old rMBP required a battery service (read: replacement) so sent it in for that since my AppleCare was about to run out. They called me a day later saying they noticed a weird hue on my screen during testing (weren't sure if they caused it or it was there before). I have the 2012 rMBP that had issues with ghosting (I had an LG screen) so they replaced that on the same day and returned it back to me. Now running a brand new Samsung display that is devoid of any ghosting I had before.

Interesting that your quote came to 281 pounds. Mine was $777 + labour.

4. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

An encouraging story, thanks for sharing. As you say, it's no good looking to Samsung, Lenovo etc for direct support, only Apple do it and that could be a good enough reason to choose their products.

Which Apple store did you use?