mbpr 13" battery expectations.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cowmix, Dec 15, 2014.

1. cowmix macrumors newbie

So I just received a MacBook Pro Retina 13" maxed out (16 gb RAM, 1 tb SSD and 3ghz i7).

I know I shouldn't expect the full 9 or 10 hours battery life that a non-maxed out mbpr 13" would get, but what SHOULD I expect?

Apple has been no help in setting my expectations.

thx!

2. icsd08063 macrumors member

icsd08063

It is definitely not an easy question to answer, mainly because battery consumption depends on how you use your machine.
    If you plan to render videos all the time for example, forget those 9 hours..
    I get around 8 hours i think out of one single charge, but without any demanding task running.

3. cowmix thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you using a fully maxed-out mbpr 13" retina too?

I've been on for 4h27m doing pretty light browser stuff in both FF and Chrome and I'm at 15%. I think that's a little too short of time, am I crazy?

My average CPU the whole session.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x45mi4krqpu858v/Screenshot%202014-12-15%2012.30.07.png?dl=0

.. And my brightness.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivworxmebtzuzvn/Screenshot%202014-12-15%2012.28.22.png?dl=0

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Maxing it out has little to no effect on battery life.

How you use your machine on battery does.

5. blooperz macrumors 6502

There is really no way for Apple to answer a question like that...every single application you install/use can change that number by a large amount. YMMV

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

The expectation I set myself is to have my computer at least last an hour or two. This way, you will be a lot happier when it last longer. If your expectation is to set it up high then you will only be paranoid when it doesn't reach your expectation. This works for all things and you will be a happier person too.

Just use what you need to use and open whatever app you need to open. Close what is not needed. Dim the screen and keyboard light according to the environment. If this is your habit then you are maximizing the battery life according to your usage.

7. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

it really comes down to what you're doing at the time. Sometimes i can get around 8hrs with regular next and just a coding window open. Just plan for at least 6hrs of usage.

8. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

reduce screen brightness, turn off keyboard backlight, don't use Chrome (its a memory hog), use Safari... Monitor what's syncing in the background (DropBox, Google Drive, etc), external hard drives... I usually get 6+ hours and 7-8+ with just wifi, and a coding window open (no browsing)