MBPr 13-inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by collaboration, Jan 28, 2014.

1. collaboration macrumors newbie

I finally decided to get rid of my current MBP 15-inch.

Just wondering if MBPr 13-inch will be sufficient enough to run these programs:
    - AutoCAD on Bootcamp Windows 7 or 8 (most likely to be Windows 8 range)
    - Final Cut Pro X

Am I better off getting MBPr 15-inch? I'm thinking of 13-inch for portability, but it's important that I can run AutoCAD smoothly.

If 13-inch is sufficient enough, would the 2.4GHz model be sufficient enough? I'm a heavy AutoCAD user but I don't multi task while CADing.

There are too many models..... :mad:

2. Groovemaster17 macrumors member

Gpu?

I can tell you that you're going to want to seriously consider whether or not you'll need discrete graphics. While the integrated iris graphics are a lot faster than previous models, they still don't compete with the dedicated 2GB Nvidia card found in the higher end 15" MBPr.

Don't know if it helps, but it's something to think about.

Best of luck!

3. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Another plus for the 15" is the extra screen real estate, the apps you want to run can have some big UIs so it might be handy.

Also you don't necessarily need to jump to the high end 15" for the dGPU, the 15 inches have a faster iGPU not as fast as the 750m, but faster then the iGPU in the 13 inches, might be a midpoint to look at.

4. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I don't think the screen would be very CAD friendly unless you plan on plugging into a monitor. If I were you I would pick up the 15" just for the sake of the GPU. It can only help with what you plan to use it for.
    You will want for nothing later on if you get what they have to offer now.

5. kelon111, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014