MBPr 13 Late 2013 waking by itself when lid closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joe-h2o, Jun 9, 2014.

1. joe-h2o, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014

joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

I have googled this, but it seems that when I do all the problems are for the MBP *not* waking when it's supposed to, which is not the problem I have.

I closed the lid at work at about 17:30, then took it home in its sleeve in my backpack as normal. I decided to surf from bed and I go to retrieve it, only to find it red hot with the fan screaming since it was on and running in the neoprene sleeve inside my backpack.

I have no idea what woke it up, just that it was down to 75% battery and iStat menus suggested that the temperature had risen steadily over the past hour or so - so I'm not even sure if it just didn't sleep in the first place.

Any telltale issues that people have seen with this?

I has mail, safari, preview and VMware Fusion running - the VM was asleep (had a message in the window that the host machine was asleep, and to use keyboard input to wake the VM).

Is there a quick way to check how long it has been awake and what exactly woke it up? I don't want this to happen again if possible.

Edit: had a look in the console and this keeps appearing:

Jun 10 00:26:09 Zoidberg kernel[0]: The USB device Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad (Port 5 of Hub at 0x14000000) may have caused a wake by issuing a remote wakeup (2)

I assume this is something to do with it?

Also I see this message occasionally:

Jun 10 00:00:39 Zoidberg kernel[0]: AppleCamIn::systemWakeCall - messageType = 0xE0000340

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. joe-h2o thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks - I had a look at those. The assertions command seems to list an HID device as the only thing that has sent a keep awake command, so I assume this is the trackpad. It also said there were no kernel assertions.

The remote wakeup line mentioning the trackpad that shows up in the console log appears to be related to Power Nap and thus is normal, so the source of the errant wake up is still elusive. It has not done it again since that first time, although I've been removing it from its sleeve and leaving it on my desk (closed) in case it does, since I don't want it to cook itself like last time if it does wake up during the night.

I will delete the sleep image as suggested by that article also.