MBPr 13" screen issue Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxou17, Feb 15, 2015.

1. maxou17 macrumors newbie

Hi to all,

Looking for some help... I was in London last week. I went to PC world (kensington High Street branch), and bought some wipes to clean my Macbook Retina screen. Before buying them, I went to the "Apple Corner" inside the store and asked 1 employee and his colleague about those wipes and the retina screen. Both told me that there was no issue and that would do the job.

After cleaning the screen I realised that the wipes damaged the screen. (I didn't know but after some research, I am not the only one)

Fortunately, it's mostly on the sides (black bezel) of the screen...

The day after I went to the Apple store on Regent St and they told me I shouldn't have used wipes to clean a retina screen and that the PC world Apple Staff made a mistake.

I then went back to PC world, and talked with the employee that told me those wipes were ok. She was very surprised when I told her about what happened, she tried to clean the stains with a product called "Iclear" (funny that they don't sell the products they clean the screen with same for Apple store who clean their screens with a product called swoosh) but realised that it was too late. She first told me that she never heard of any issue like that before, but then said that I should have insisted on the fact my computer was a retina screen! Funny I said it 5 times, and the other member even told me that he cleans all his Apple screens with a window spray!

The manager of the store then came and gave me a complaint form to fill and to email.

I live in Istanbul, went to the Apple store yesterday, even though I have Apple care, they don't want to change my screen under warranty as no wipes should have been used. The cost to change the screen is around £300 and it takes 5 days to replace. I don't think I am responsible for it, I really trusted Apple staff at PC world. I thought they were trained Apple staff...

Any suggestion on what I should do?

Also, do you know how long it takes to replace the screen in the UK, and the cost of it?

thanks!

2. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

I had my screen replaced under warranty at an Apple Store in the UK and it took approx 5 days also. I have no idea of the cost though.

3. maxou17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, any help on what you would do?

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Present PC World with a quote for a replacement screen from the Apple store. Take it from there.

Best of luck, PC World were a slippery company and would try and duck any obligations where it might cost them money when I worked there about 15 years ago. Best of luck with it.

5. maxou17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, I will keep you posted!