MBPr 13" - Software Engineering student

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fatih, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Fatih macrumors newbie

Hello.

Im going to study Software Engineering soon and i want to buy a Macbook for that.
    Im looking at the 13" 2,6 GHz, 8 GB Ram and 256 GB SSD.

This is going to be my first Mac ever. Do you think it's a good pick for studying Software Engineering? I need some advice please :)

2. amazinjoey macrumors newbie

Can you link your program so we can see the subjects ? :)
    Im studing Software engineering and Mangement and a macbook pro should be fine but you might need to use Windows during some courses. As I had technical analsys and design which forced us to use IBM Rhaposody which was only working in Windows and barely

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'm a CS student, and I personally prefer the 15" purely because of the screen size, quad core option and discrete GPU.

The extra 2 inches is a big bonus when coding.

4. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

I'm a Computer Engineering postgrad myself and the only time I've actually had to use software that didn't have an OSX version was with a with some Linux only abandonware I had to use in a course on Real Time systems. I just installed Ubuntu in a Virtualbox VM and it ran just fine even thou I had to compile the program from source.

Technically there's also Altera's Quartus II (Windows only) and Atmel's AVR Studio (which has a Linux version, but no mac version), but they were both on a machine tethered lab equipment (the first to program an FPGA board and the latter to program an microcontroller on a dev board), so what I used on my personal machine didn't matter.

5. kfmfe04 macrumors member

Install Virtualbox and your favorite flavor of Linux and you can program to your heart's content.

SUN Sparcstations used to run UNIX were priced $5-10k. Now you can run the equivalent using free open software in a virtual machine on your $1k mbp for free and run it much much faster than ever.

How times have changed...

6. Fatih thread starter macrumors newbie

Im living in Denmark, so it's Danish :) Here are some of my courses in english:
    BCD User Centered Design, Software Design, Experts in Teams, Software Maintenance, GLO Software System Design in a Global Context, Emperical Methods and Statistics, Distribution and Integration Technologies, Discreet Methods Computer Science etc.

I want the portability of the 13", and to be honest, i can't afford the 15" :) Only the 13" im going to buy costs 1867.5$ here - and this is the cheapest price. If i buy directly from apple, it's over 2000$ for the 13" 2.6/8/256.

----------

So there will be some software i can't run on OSX, and therefore i have to run Windows. What do you recommend here? I have looked at Parallels and think that it looks very good. But how is the performance, compared to bootcamp?

7. amazinjoey macrumors newbie

Reminds me of DTU , did a year there as an exchange student from sweden:) Macbook pro should be enough but I recommend you get the free Windows copy from MSDNAA and bootcamp it

8. Fatih thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool :):)
    I have looked a bit at MSDNAA, but can't find windows for free. Is it "Windows Embedded 8" or what? :) And do you have a special reason to recommend bootcamp? I have heard that it is annoying to switch between OSX and windows with bootcamp because you have to restart.