MBPr 13 Speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nmeed, Sep 3, 2015.

1. nmeed macrumors regular

Quick question guys...
    How are the speakers on the MacBook Pro 13 Retina? I saw an audio comparison between it and that Dell with the really thin bezel and I was pretty disappointed with the Mac's speakers. It got me thinking of buying one of those tiny Bluetooth speakers. Then again I figured I would ask here first. What are your opinions on the speakers? I know th they aren't going to blast the room away, but are they...passable?

2. chino-rican macrumors member

chino-rican

It really depends on what you are listening to and ambient noise. Yesterday I was watching a few Youtube and iMessage videos on my 13 rMBP and they sounded just fine. There was no noise (kids screaming, people talking, phones ringing) so it was an ideal environment for this application. Trying it at a busy café or airport might be a different story.

If you plan on watching a movie or listening to music, you will probably be better off with headphones or separate speakers. Those tiny Bluetooth speakers you speak of can vary widely in terms of power and quality, so I'd do my homework on those before getting one.

3. nmeed thread starter macrumors regular

4. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

The sound is pretty much ok for a laptop. Good enough for a movie or your favorite show. Carrying another piece of electronics and worrying about charging it? Not worth it.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Define passable?

I usually listen to music on a 2.0 setup worth about $8K. Passable to me isn't the same as passable to you.

6. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

I find the speakers on my 2015 13" rMBP to be significantly better than the speakers on my 2012 13" cMBP. Big difference in clarity and roundness to me. I do also complement the speakers with Boom 2 for the Mac which happily enhances the sound further. At one point, I was considering purchasing an HP Spectre X360 2 in 1, but the speakers actually turned me off when I compared them to those on the rMBP. Suffice it to say, I got the MBP. Of course if you add an external bluetooth speaker like the Bose mini to the mix, there is no speaker question or issue at all.

7. nmeed thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies! It's reassuring to hear that. I was pretty bummed when I heard that Dell having better speakers which is what got me thinking about buying a Bluetooth speaker. If only the Boom 2 was over Bluetooth, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

8. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

I don't know about others but, far as I can say, I've had no trouble using Boom 2 with a bluetooth speaker. I mean I've left Boom 2 on with the speaker on with no issues.

9. nmeed thread starter macrumors regular

I meant that I wish the Boom would connect to the MacBook via Bluetooth instead of through USB...

10. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

Boom 2 is a software program that enhances sound quality on the Mac. It's not a speaker.

11. nmeed thread starter macrumors regular

Oh my bad....I thought you were talking about the following:
    https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/bassjump-2-for-macbook

I just looked into Boom 2. Does it really make a difference to the sound quality, $15 worth? Is it in the Macstore?

12. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Does it really make a difference to the sound quality? Yes, but you should judge for yourself what it sounds like to you.

$15 worth? Again your call. How much is $15 worth to you?

Is it in the Macstore? Yes it is 4+ star rated. The Boom 2 web site has a 7 day free trial so you can evaluate for yourself. The Mac App Store does not have a trial version, only Buy.

13. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

If you've got $15 for it, yes, it's absolutely worth it. I'd buy it through the website- Globaldelight.com. I'm not affiliated with them. I'm just a satisfied customer.

14. JimBanville macrumors member

Had 2014 13" mba. Sold it and got 2015 13" mbp. I didn't go listening for a change in audio quality, I just noticed it. As soon as I booted the mbp I was like, wha...?! That start-up tone sounded really lame/weak compared to my mba. Not weak, as in volume. Weak as in it had no bass. Very tinny. I then went on to listen to other things...iTunes, YouTube, etc. The 2015 13" mbp built in speakers sound awful. Dreadful. I had no issues with the mba speakers. They had the right balance for what they were (tiny laptop speakers) . The mbp speakers are a big step down.