MBPr 13" sufficient?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hrv888, Oct 22, 2014.

1. hrv888 macrumors regular

Is the MBPr 13" 2.6ghz i5 8gb ram 256gb ssd sufficient for the following? Or should I upgrade the ram to 16gb or upgrade the cpu to 2.8 or even 3.0 i7?

Usage for:
    Windows 8.1 or 10(when it comes out) bootcamp setup
    Microsoft Office (word, excel, powerpoint) Heavy usage
    Other apps that are needed for business school.

Yosemite, Spotify, YouTube, Netflix, Safari, Skype, iPhoto, FaceTime

That's all I can think of right now. Planning to keep it for the next 5 years. Currently using a mid 2009 MBP 13" 2.53ghz, 256gb (not ssd) 4gb ram, and I am feeling that it gets a little slow at times.

Thanks for any input

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I seriously doubt that you'll find the rMBP slow now, or for quite some time.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

More than sufficient for your needs, you shouldnt see any issues :D
    (unless you are planning to do some heavy stuff in that windows bootcamp)

4. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

Or should I just hold off for next year with the new cpu's and just upgrade my current to a 8gb ram? ssd? battery?

5. kittencounter macrumors member

Any CPU configuration is more than enough for your need really. But one question though why do you want to install Windows on that poor thing, just because you need for Office softwares? I mean you can use the Mac versions. Word and Excel okay but Keynote is so much better than PP :D

6. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

You'd be fine with a MacBook Air, so the 13" rMBP as described by you is more than sufficient.

7. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your replies.

Installing windows is for Microsoft Office since business school requires heavy usage of excel and I think the mac version is still lagging behind as compared to the windows version.

Looks like I do not need to upgrade anything on the 2.6 rMBP 13.
    But another question is future proofing it a little if I would use it for the next 5 years. Should I upgrade the ram now?

My previous mbp had 4gb of ram which was more than enough at that time but now it seems to be the recommended size of ram to run yosemite.

----------

I would love a MacBook Air but I wish it had retina display.

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

If you want to future proof it then yes, upgrade the RAM. You can't do it later.

9. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Your current 2009 MBP should be sufficient for that. Any laptop in current production should handle it with ease. Have you checked to see if there are processes taking up CPU or RAM resources?

10. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

I just did a clean install of Yosemite last night and haven't had the chance to put anything on it yet. I'll take a look at that later. Also thinking if I should just upgrade the ram and wait for next years new laptops.

11. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Honestly, it sounds like your current computer should be able to do the kind of work you want with little trouble. Upgrading the HDD in your computer to an SSD could potentially be a 100$ solution to your problem.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Basically this

For your needs your current MBp with an SSD will be like a new machine.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

A base MBA can do all that without batting an eye.

14. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

I definitely agree with this. Even a friend of mine's Lenovo T60 (2006 I guess) with 3 gigs of RAM is running smooth on Windows 8.1 after he put an SSD into it.
    In your case, you could simply upgrade your RAM and put an SSD in. Maybe, replace its battery as well. You'll like it just fine. I believe your traditional HDD is more of a bottleneck than anything.

15. meson macrumors regular

Your current machine will get the job done just fine. Like others said, the SSD is the difference maker. However, if you are doing relatively complex calculations in Excel, bumping the ram to 8GB can be beneficial.

Additionally, unless you need direct hardware support for what you are doing in Windows, after an SSD and ram upgrade, you can run Windows in a virtual machine and the machine won't bat an eye. It really is incredible the difference the SSD makes. If I need Windows to run a demo during one of my lectures, I can launch a virtual machine and be ready to go before the projector gets warmed up and focused.

Personally, I would do the upgrades and wait for the Skylake update if possible. I think there may be some really cool things in the works if all of the wireless technologies associated with it come to fruition. I would still be on my early 2008 MB had it not met an untimely death this spring, as it was still plenty of computer for what I asked of it.

16. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

I'll say it every time: you'll never regret having more RAM, especially when it's soldered in. Go for 16.

17. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

If you plan to install Windows, then go with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD. If you run Windows on Parallels, 16 GB of RAM will be welcome. And 512 GB of disk space is worth it to have if you plan to run two operating systems.

18. BigBuns macrumors newbie

BigBuns

Upgrade the HDD

I would recommend upgrading to an SSD in your current MBP. I just put one in my mid 2010 13" for ~$130 and it feels like a new machine. Really snappy now.
    Give that a go and possibly the upgrade ram in the future. It should meet all of your needs that you would be buying a new rMBP for.

Maybe upgrade down the road when Broadwell is released?

19. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

This would be an option. You could put 8 GB on your Mac (if it is supported) and an SSD. And buy a new laptop later.