MBPr 13, when folded togehter, screen juts out on one side

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pullman, May 24, 2014.

1. pullman macrumors 6502

pullman

I've had my Macbook for a few weeks and noticed today that when the notebook is folded together the screen is outside the computer's body on one side by a little bit; on the other side the screen's edge doesn't follow the edge of the computer body entirely. In other words, the screen doesn't fold perfectly straight but appears to be a bit off-centre.

It didn't use to be like this. In fact I returned a previous MBPr within the 14-day return period in part because the screen was like this when it came from the factory.

The only thing I've done with the current notebook is to have it in my briefcase's computer compartment during a trip this week. I haven't dropped it or such.

Has anyone else noticed that the screen could so easily come off-centre like this?

TIA
    P

2. Abacus2039 macrumors newbie

Category 5 has a similar problem.

Category 5

Edit: Yours sounds more like a broken/loose hinge. Either way, take it back.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd definitely have apple take a look at that. I don't think that's normal. One thing I like about MBPs is their great build quality, My rMBP has tight lines and nothing feels out of alignment.

4. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks for the replies. It's pretty annoying to be honest. What would Apple do - require me to send it in for service? Would the warranty cover it?

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Warranty should cover it. They either send it in or replace it. I think they will replace it on the spot.
    Remember to backup your system before you bring it in.

6. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

I'll call Apple today. Unfortunately there's no Apple Store here in The Hague (yet; it opens 14 June...). The closest is in Amsterdam I believe. Here, we only have a premium reseller.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

8. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thought I should post back. The genius fixed it by unscrewing the relevant screws and realigning the screen. So it's been fixed. For now I should add. If it reappears I'll request replacement.

Somewhat surprisingly one of the other "geniuses" said that "Sometimes they come from the factory with the screen a bit at an angle"...