MBPr 15" - 2x 4K Displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Knuckleheadz, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Knuckleheadz macrumors member

Knuckleheadz

Hi all,

Happy New Year to you!

A friend of mine is in the market for a MBPr 15" laptop to replace his ageing iMAC, however he needs a lot of display real estate.

He wants to know if he will be able to run 2x 4k displays from the MBPr.... the model in question is the LG 34" Curved Display - http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC97

The only literature we can find about 4k display support for the MBPr is this Apple Support Article (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202856) which isn't conclusive.

It does suggest that 2 displays can be run at 30hz, but only one additional display can be connected if using 60hz.

Isn't the standard refresh rate for displays 60hz? Meaning if he wants to run 2 he would have to reduce the refresh rate to 30hz? Would that not introduce flicker?

Also, if he chose to have the discrete GPU in a custom build MBPr would this restriction be removed?

Thanks for any advice or experience you can all offer :)

Jon

2. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

That is not a 4K display. I have a better model like that one, uc87. And to answer your question, yes, the rMBP can power up two of those displays without any problems :)

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

As c0ppo says that really isn't a 4K display and yes a 15 inch rMBP will run 2 of those no problem.

4. Knuckleheadz thread starter macrumors member

Knuckleheadz

thanks for your help guys... yep, they're not quite 4K but it was easier to type :)

Would my mate need to buy a custom rMBP with the discrete GPU or will the integrated Iris work OK?

5. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

Not sure, but I think integrated would work without a problem. But for his sake and for performance sake, I would go for dGPU. Future proof, and way better performance. And tell him to go with uc87 with thunderbolt support. It's newer model and way better then uc97. Thunderbolt support is just an additional plus to the game :)

6. jdiamond macrumors 6502

I am interested in the same thing - have you actually tried two 4K displays @ 60Hz? I think they have to be in SST mode to support two externals which means you need Yosemite, right?

Thanks so much - I'd hate to spend the money on a second 4K monitor only to be unable to drive it.

7. zyr123 macrumors 6502

whys the 87 better then the 97.

8. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

@jdiamond
    Nope, haven't tried 2x 4k displays. But google it, it seems to be possible.

@zyr123
    Check out review online, and especially those on youtube. First thing is thunderbolt. Second thing is adjustable stand + vesa mount, and the final thing would be less bleeding on the display itself when the background is black/dark. This ultra wide displays have bleeding, only thing to question is how much of bleeding there is.

I have uc87, using it as I write this. Perfect wide display, quality is way better then uc97 (had that one as well). Stand is also way better, not just that its adjustable, but on uc97 my monitor would shake a lot when I type. Prettier stand, but useless. uc87 doesn't have that problem at all. No shaking here baybe :)

9. zyr123 macrumors 6502

there's two version of the uc97 I have the uc97-s which is thunderbolt 2. So thats why i was confused. Thats the end all be all king of monitors.