MBPR 15" ghosting advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PVisitors, Nov 2, 2012.

1. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

I've had my MBPR for around 5 months now and I have just noticed that I am getting prominent ghosting. It's a quite strange one because as soon as I got the machine I tested it using the ghosting image test posted on this site which came out flawless.

However now I have it quite badly which seems to have developed over time. It's got to such an extent that using a normal background (a purple space picture from NASA etc) I can notice the outline of the windows and if anybody is familiar with Colloquy, the colloquy watermark even showing through onto the desktop. Furthermore in the past week I've been noticing that the screen is starting to flicker every now and then (in the form of almost analogue tv fuzz for a tiniest of seconds) and text/images overlapping is the best way I can describe it. However this would be hard to show at a genius bar as its not something I can force to happen, it does it every now and then. Sometimes severely for a few minutes then sometimes it can go hours, or even a day without even doing it at all.

I have basically the equivalent to Apple Care (3 years Student hardware support). Have any of you guys had experience with the Genius bar over the ghosting issue and whether they are still repairing (replacing?) MBPRs which have this issue.

2. iPersian macrumors regular

my advice would be to either return the mac and dont buy a new or take it to the store and replace the screen. a new mac will most likely give you another LG and hence ghosting.

replacing the screen will more likely result in a samsung with no ghosting.

read the last pages in this thread and see the product code for sammy displays so you can try to convince the apple folks to order that.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?start=3510&tstart=0

3. markus843 macrumors regular

If you still have warranty, it's best to just send it in. Also it would be worth a try if you were to head over to the genius bar and run a test which would show them a solid ghosting image. I know someone who got a replacement from it.

4. iPersian macrumors regular

but be aware that replacement in these days usually means another faulty LG. screen replacement however is less work and will more likely result in samsung.

5. PVisitors thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers for the fast responses guys. Do you know how long they take to do screen replacements in the actual store itself? I'm at Uni so my laptop is pretty important to my studies so I doubt I would be able to go a week etc without it.

Have people on MR sussed out who is the majority supplier, LG or Samsung on the models? If it takes a few days then the decision to take a replacement instantly would be tempting purely for my studies. Judging from the responses I guess you have all concluded that every LG screen will eventually suffer from image retention.

6. iPersian macrumors regular

nobody knows for sure but it looks like the majority is LG in general. LGs when you buy a new machine or get it replaced.

but mostly samsung when only the screen is replaced.

soon apple will stop using samsung and will only deliver faulty LGs to its buyers.

7. PVisitors thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right cheers for your help, managed to book myself an appointment for tomorrow morning and have got the Samsung replacement product code and can easily recreate the ghosting.

Thanks for the advice on the "I'll hand in my laptop for repair when the part is shipped in", hoping that they might have some in the back already.

8. iPersian macrumors regular

now please do us favor back and let us know how it develops. in details

9. PVisitors thread starter macrumors 6502a

Develops in relation to what? Sorry if its a stupid question but it's 3am here!

10. iPersian macrumors regular

its 4 am here :)

how the process goes on. how long it takes and if you get a samsung.

11. PVisitors thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just a quick update guys for anybody interested.

I went to the Genius bar today and I have to say the experience I had was second to none. I went there prepared to 'fight' as it's what I would expect when dealing with issues like this [this is the first time I've needed a replacement component/device from Apple].

Anyway, basically I explained the issue, showing him pictures I had taken with my iPhone and was about to go into detail about the retention test found on here and to show him the evidence before he cut me off and basically said that he wouldn't need to see the evidence in person and will replace the screen for, adding that he would make sure it is a Samsung screen instead of an LG replacement. The product code was 661-7171 so it's definitely a Samsung one. Happy days.

Great experience, although I think it was helped by the fact the Genius who served me had a Macbook Pro Retina so was more than aware about the image retention issue. Spoke to some of my flatmates about the image retention thing in passing and they found it hard to understand how annoying the issue is so I'd imagine that could be the same for Geniuses at the Apple Store who do not own a MBPR themselves. Also managed to pass on advice to him about the command to use in the terminal to find out whether your display is an LG or Samsung.

They had the part in stock but sadly they don't have a lot of repair shifts on Saturday and Sunday so I couldn't get it repaired there and then despite the part being in stock. However he did say to me it should be done by at least Tuesday. Didn't manage to hold onto my Macbook as discussed above as they can't just allocate repair slots as simple as that. It has to go into a queue or something. Either way Tuesday is perfectly fine for me, I just couldn't do it if it was by Thursday etc.