MBPR, 2.3 or 2.6?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jian, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jian macrumors regular

Hi, so I finally decided to replace my laptop, from an early 2008 MacBook Pro to the new Retina display Macbook Pro. I am going to use my new laptop for some basic video editing including final cut and after effect (I have a highend model iMac at home for serious editing) This is my last semester at college, so I might as well just buy it now with that 100 dollar iTunes card.

I am a little stuck on the spec. What's your recommendation? 8G ram or 16G ram? 2.3GHz or 2.6 GHz?
    SSD wise I am pretty sure I will stick with 256GB.
    I am also going to get AppleCare too, since for the two macs that I bought, the first MBP had bad logic board but apple was nice enough to replace it for free after the applecare expired, and for the iMac, the screen f-ed up after about 5 months....so yeah.

Thanks

2. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

For the use you mention, I would say the base model is easily up to the job. The difference in the 2.3 to 2.6 is not really noticeable IMO. 8gb will be plenty for a good few years yet.

3. jian thread starter macrumors regular

I actually prefer the 2.3 too. Although I do want faster processor, I'm not patient enough to wait 5-7 business days for it to ship, I rather go pick it up. Haha.

Thanks for the advice, BTW!

4. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I actually called Apple up to exchange my 2.3ghz rMBP for the 2.6ghz model but when they told me I would have to ship my 2.3ghz one back and wait a week and a bit without a computer before the new one arrived I said no. I use my machine for work and I need it.

I also came to the realization that the additional 300mhz wouldn't gain me anything. If anything according to engadget I would lose 2 hours of battery life with the 2.6ghz model over the 2.3ghz model.

5. FatGuy007 macrumors 6502

Invalid, lets say your rendering a video, the rendering would take all of that 2.3 ghz and cannot put any more power and wait longer. with 2.6, the extra .3 ghz will have to put more power and battery into it but it is quicker.

6. EthosX macrumors regular

mbpr, 2.7

7. jian thread starter macrumors regular

Well power consumption is something I don't really care, since in most cases I'll connect to the power cord anyway when I'm editing intense piece. Browsing the web is another story though.

----------

I'd love that, but it's out of budget. My Barclay card has limit of 2300. I have enough cash to pay up the rest sure but I'd rather invest in a RAID for my iMac in that case.

8. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

The 2.3 is plenty speedy. Ram is the only thing I would consider upgrading.

9. nitromac macrumors 6502

The 300MHz isn't going to make much of a big difference. Having more RAM will benefit you much more than the 2.6 upgrade. The 2.7 upgrade is somewhat worth it, because you at least get 8MB of L3 cache as opposed to the regular 6, but still not really worth the $350 asking price.