MBPr 2.3 vs MBPc 2.6 (Web, Video, Photo)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigredmachine, Jul 26, 2012.

1. bigredmachine macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am wanting to order either the MacBook Pro Retina 2.3/8GB/256 SSD or the Unibody MacBook Pro 2.6/8GB/750HDD in the next couple of days.

The primary use will be for web development and editing 1080p AVCHD/MOV footage of live events via FCP X or Premiere Pro along with some aperture image editing.

I am in a position where I can't update the Retina model and will have to purchase as per the base spec.

I will keep the internal hard drive for apps and web work whilst photo and video would be accessed via an external usb 3.0 scratch disks. This will be an upgrade from a 09 MBP DC 2.5Ghz.

Which one would be more beneficial for the type of work listed above as this will be my main desktop replacement machine for the foreseeable future.

Red

2. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

If you're going to be using scratch disks, I'd say go with the retina. You'll be able to fit more stuff on the screen - very important with video and audio software.

3. defektion macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat you are both options are very good. Except I'm leaning more towards the MBPr. If I were to get the MBPc I would be spending an extra $500 in extras (SSD & 16GB of Ram)

4. bigredmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

@ bwhli

More stuff on screen will definitely be beneficial when I am working away from my main desk when it will usually be connect to a 23" ACD (1920x1200)

The split between mobile and desk work is usually weekdays mobile and weekends desk for edits.

I am just hoping the 8GB is enough to power FCP X and it remains cool when doing video renders.

I would need to buy an external bluray burner to DVD/Bluray burning.

Any more help is greatly appreciated.

Red

5. Scotty V macrumors newbie

Literally just registered to say I'm in the same boat. Thought I would offer my stance. I am picking up a rMBP today after work and testing how the lag is under ML. That's the only thing that could stop me from keeping the rMBP. I am getting the 2.3/8/256 base retina because that's all you need. Don't pay out the nose for RAM you will never use and just an external hard drive for media. It's not worth 600 bucks for a marginally better processor and more storage. The cMBP is a great deal though. I would pick up the 2.6 and replace the HDD with a samsung 830 256 ssd, but that puts totals way into the 2500s. The rMBP is the best deal I feel because it is the future, but Apple may have been too ambitious as it seems like the hardware can't handle the resolution or the software hasn't optimized the hardware well enough yet. I doubt Apple has some amazing fix coming down the pipeline for the reported lag either because they claimed ML would solve everything.

6. bigredmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

@ Scotty V

Thanks for your input. What will the main use of your MBPr be for?

I look forward to hearing about your experience with MBPr with the same configuration I am looking at.

7. Scotty V macrumors newbie

I am an engineering major at college right now. I will be using it for light gaming, coding programs (MATLAB, C+, etc), and design programs (AutoCAD, Revit, etc). I will certainly update my experience tonight. Should be picking it up around 6. I think I am going to stay with the rMBP because the improved thermals, better speakers, and smaller form factor is huge to me as a college student. I love the two thunderbolt ports too. A lot of cool stuff is being rolled out that takes advantage of these in the near future.

8. Scotty V macrumors newbie

Not sure if you are still here, Red, but I got the rMBP and it is sweet... I'm only running Lion on it, but I definitely freaked myself about how much this lag would annoy me. For me personally, I don't care. I still get to the same spot, but there is a lag when web browsing. I don't even notice it, so I'm keeping it. Never owned a mac before though, so I have nothing to compare to. All I know is this thing is a joy to use and I'm focusing on the pros which outweigh the cons easily in my head. The small form factor is just stunning. The classic just feels so dated after you use this. Good luck with what you decide, Red.