MBPr 2.7 vs 2.8

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UnixMac, May 22, 2013.

1. UnixMac macrumors 6502

UnixMac

Simple question...

what's different? is it literally just the .1 faster cpu? or is there underlying architectural differences or other component improvements? i.e. faster SSD, etc..

2. abc123 macrumors 6502

Yes I don't know why they still offer 0.1 speed bumps like that. The boost is so minor that if you regret not getting it, you'd also be disappointed with the speed if you did get it.

I'm sure there are some reasons for getting it but I personally would never bother. If you are buying today I'd also look at the 2.6 models on the refurb store as they are also very little different and much better value if you can find the config you are after.

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Bump in cache from 6MB to 8MB. It's not just a 100MHz bump in clock speed.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Unnoticeable difference.

2mb cache increase and .1 ghz is not noticeable.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

You would want to spend you cash on something else.
    That is so unnoticeable you would basically waste money.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's higher binned usually. So technically the 2.8GHz would be more stable. That's just my non-expert opinion on the matter. It also comes with more cache.

I don't think it's worth it really. That also said, I have the older 2.7GHz upgrade model (basically 100MHz over the older 2.6GHz model). :eek:

7. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

The 100MHz increase is not worth the price they ask for it. You will never ever notice that difference under any circumstances. I have a 3930K in my desktop. It's an unlocked chip meaning I can increase or decrease its clockrate to anything I want.

If I increase it from 3.2GHz (which it ships at) to 3.3GHz there is no noticeable difference in performance. Even encoding MP3's using dbpoweramp (A well known transcoder) we are talking an album conversion from FLAC to 320 CBR MP3's going from 1 minute 32.5 seconds to 1 minute 32.1 seconds. The difference is that insignificant.

So in my opinion if you intend to get an extra BTO option restrict it to the SSD, Memory or Accessories. The CPU upgrade, for an extra 100MHz? totally not worth it.

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

It also gave you a 8mb cache versus the standard 6mb cache.

9. darksnake macrumors newbie

i read there were minimal internal changes to. Can't find the teardown tho