mbpr battery and recovery disc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dragonis, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Dragonis macrumors newbie

Hi,

Got my new laptop on friday, so far is gorgeous and really great. Only query I have is... where are the recovery discs? None in the box, if I have to create them, if so thats really miserley apple, then how do I.

Also, battery life.... if not doing much at all i can see it lasting 5 or so hours, if gaming it seems to be about 2.... not had change to test properley but on single use off battery it seemed to go v quick. Might have been more than 2 but not far from that.

When would it ever last 7 hours? if bot and literally do not touch it I could believe it would sit on the desktop for 7 hours yes.

Thanks

2. miles400 macrumors member

miles400

3. Dragonis thread starter macrumors newbie

That link says you have to buy an app to create recovery discs, please tell me thats not the case. Why should we pay extra for that

4. strukt macrumors member

strukt

5. TLewis macrumors 65816

That link is only for people who upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion (and the $20 "app" isn't an app -- it's the Mountain Lion upgrade itself, which upgraders would have to buy anyway if they want to upgrade to ML). Since you have ML, you cannot use this approach (which is actually what you really want, but you can't use it).

(Actually, I'm not 100% sure that you can't use it. If you're desperate, you might be able to spend $20 on the ML upgrade, but I'm not sure if the app store would allow you to do this.)

For newer macs like the rMBP, Apple has internet recovery (accessed via cmd-R at boot time). For some unknown reason, Apple thought it would be better if users could reinstall by redownloading everything over the internet. (Never mind that ML is a ~4.3GB bundle of joy.) This is why the above link is what you want, if you could use it -- you'd end up with a bootable ML install disk that could be used in any mac that supported ML, and you would not need to redownload anything.

Unfortunately, I think the only way for you to reinstall ML is by using Apple's internet recovery and redownloading everything over the the internet.

However, if you don't need to reinstall, you can just do simple backups, like:

1. Time Machine in ML now supports multiple backup destinations. You can have a regular time machine backup destination, but still have another, occasional TM backup location just in case the first one gets corrupted. (Not perfect, but better than the old way of having only one TM backup location.)
    2. You can manually make bootable snapshots of your hard disk. (This is something like booting into recovery mode via cmd-R at boot time, and then using disk util to make an image copy of your disk onto some backup drive.)
    3. You can buy third-party backup software like Carbon Copy Cloner to create bootable backup images on backup drives.

----------

Uh, that's the same as the link he's complaining about.