MBPr - Buy now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fredr1k, Jan 11, 2014.

  1. Fredr1k macrumors newbie

    Jan 11, 2014

    I'm considering to buy a MBPr 13", but I'm not sure if I should wait until they will be updated. According to the Buyer's Guide it says to be updated in about 81 days. Is this most likely, and which updates do you think it would be?

    To me storage is very important, and since the MBPr's are hard/impossible to upgrade afterwards, I have to be sure when I buy it.

    Today I'm using a MBP 15" mid 2009, and it's working fine, but I'm wanting something new and fresh.

    Would you guys buy it now, or wait until a possible update?
  2. TjeuV macrumors 6502

    Dec 14, 2011
    It always comes down to this. Do you need it now? Buy it. Can you wait a few more months? Wait. It seems to me like you can wait a little longer but know that the longer you wait and you decide to buy one anyway before the update, chances are you'll regret it more since it's going to appear like you just missed out on an update.
    I don't think they'll increase the base storage to let's say 512GB, but instead increase the write/read speed of the SSD. Other than that? Maybe 12h battery?
    Would love a new design though, but probably not going to happen.
  3. durruti macrumors regular


    Mar 26, 2004
    I think you misread.

    It's been 81 days since it's last been updated, not a countdown to when it will be updated next.
  4. Adonys, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

    Adonys macrumors regular

    Aug 8, 2012
    Southern California
    if you want to buy the next big thing, you wouldn't be able to own one and will be waiting forever . but if you need it now, just buy it and have fun!
  5. kelon111 macrumors 6502

    Mar 16, 2013
    Buy now! :)
  6. Scepticalscribe Contributor


    Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    My answer to your question is pretty straightforward.

    If you need a computer, buy it now, unless an update is expected in the next few days. If you merely want one, I would advise that you perhaps wait until the next update.

    Having said that, you will most certainly notice a significant difference in the power, speed and memory in any computer you buy, given that the model you are currently using dates from 2009.
  7. Fredr1k thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 11, 2014
    Sorry! I meant to write 85 (166-81), but it's still in the same time range #
  8. sonicrobby macrumors 68020


    Apr 24, 2013
    New Orleans
    The rMBP was just refreshed in October. If there is another refresh within the next few months it will be something minor most probably (such as the CPU difference between the 2012s and early 2013s). But overall, there is no real difference between the two. So unless you want to wait for a major refresh, which no one can tell when that will be (my guess would be around fall time - IF they do a major refresh this year). All in all, Id say buy it now.
  9. Fredr1k thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 11, 2014
    Okei, thanks!

    So you don't believe that the 128 GB-models are being adjusted to the 256 GB and so on? It will be "minor" updates?
  10. Fredr1k thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 11, 2014
    That's what I was hoping and believing myself.

    About the CPU's. How big is the difference between, let's say 2.4 GHz and 2.6 GHz, both i5? Is it very noticeable? I am using my Mac for music applications like Logic Pro and engineering applications for modelling and calculations.
  11. sonicrobby macrumors 68020


    Apr 24, 2013
    New Orleans
    Not even remotely noticeable.
  12. jimthing macrumors 65816


    Apr 6, 2011
    London, UK
    Mactracker can help.

    Suggestion: download the useful free Mac &/or iOS app "Mactracker".
    (tip: the Mac version makes comparisons a bit easier, as you can pop-up many windows at the same time.)

    Inside you'll see the benchmarks for every variant of machine, making it easy for you to work out the percentage gains in performance, both between chips in the same generation release (e.g. the 2.4 vs. 2.6 vs. 2.8 GHz models of late 2013 rMBP 13"), but also more importantly for you, between generations of machine (late 2012 vs. early 2013 vs. late-2013).

    While this is not the whole story, it's generally good enough to give you some understanding of the gains in performance between models.

    Plus you can check-out the other features and compare what's changed between generations.
  13. notjustjay macrumors 603


    Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Simple math tells us that 2.6 GHz clock speed is about 8% faster than 2.4 GHz.

    But modern CPUs don't run constantly at their top-rated speed, they dynamically adjust the CPU speed to balance power consumption based on how much work is being performed.

    So (everyone likes car analogies, right?) it's kind of like comparing a sports car rated at a top speed of 240 MPH and another rated at 260 MPH... theoretically one can go faster than the other, but in the real world, you're driving the posted highway speed limits anyway. On a long stretch of open road maybe you'll feel the difference, but otherwise...
  14. dustbuny macrumors newbie

    Dec 30, 2013
    i say go ahead and buy a Rmbp. they are great machines and you can find them used online for pretty good deal.. then sell your 15" 2009 and get some money back too...
  15. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

    Jul 12, 2013
    New York
    I say buy now, if you really need it. If you constantly wait for what's coming next, you'll never get a laptop. I bought my rMBP this past Christmas and I'm happy with it. Best computer I've purchased, to be honest.

Share This Page