MBPR Chrome lag proportional to window size

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohkuipo, Oct 4, 2012.

1. ohkuipo macrumors member

I just had to throw my two cents in regarding all this Chrome scroll lag noise. I realized that the issue is directly proportional to window size. On my MBPR, when I run Chrome in non-full-screen view but stretched to 99% of the screen (minus the space at the bottom for the dock), scrolling is bad enough to make me want to go jump out a window. Incredibly so for media-heavy sites like The Verge, etc. Light pages fare a little better. However, if the window is resized smaller (I currently have it at a little over 50% of the overall screen), performance is a LOT better. Very very smooth! Still not as buttery as Safari, but it's a huge improvement. Full screen it honestly seems broken, but as a smaller window, Chrome is super nice to use.

Anyone else come to this conclusion? Is there any chance that full-screen performance would improve in a future update?

2. PerformaGuy macrumors member

PerformaGuy

3. ohkuipo thread starter macrumors member

I see what you're saying, but I'm just having trouble believing that's true. Take The Verge, for example. The design of the page is fixed width -- there's a center column on the site that looks the same regardless of how big your window is. If you have it just big enough to encompass that column, it'll fit, but if you make the window much wider, you'll just get white space on the left and right.

If my window is just large enough to show the center column without scrolling horizontally, it's smooth. If I stretch the window all the way across, the lag becomes much worse, but the only thing that's changed is now I see a lot of white space. All of what I would consider "expensive" content to render is being shown regardless. Is all that white space really enough to put Chrome's resource usage over the top?

Furthermore, let's not mention that Safari is perfectly smooth at any size... :rolleyes: I would love if Google was able to harness whatever voodoo Apple used to make that happen.