MBPr connected to Samsung lcd TV via HDMI: image cut off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lorcar, Nov 2, 2013.

1. lorcar macrumors member

hi guys
    i just bought an HDMI cable and plugged my retina to my Samsung tv.
    After a bit I was also able to get the audio out of the tv, but the image is cut.
    it's like the image I see on the Retina is zoomed in on the Tv, because I do not see the top end of the screen and icons on the botton are a bit cut out.
    Any solution? must change resolution? how? i tried something but nothing changed.
    Found a video on youtube where the guy were saying to change labeling to the Hdmi exit on the Samsung, but nothing happened either

thanks a lot in advance

2. D A macrumors regular

Your Samsung should have an HDMI port labeled with DVI (on mine it's HDMI port 1). Plug in the cable to that port and open up System Preferences, choose Display and uncheck display mirroring if active. The resolution should be set to best for display.

If you plug it into the port above and choose best for display you should get the full image.

3. cbben macrumors newbie

4. lorcar thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys

having active mirroring was the problem

so while I thought I'd see on the TV what I have on the mac, the truth is that I have to have 2 different monitors and move/drag my movie-player on the tv monitor? and the mac resolution immediately becomes worse.

is that correct?