Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
For those with the MBPR, does your display make a humming noise when it is at 1/16 to 5/16 brightness?

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
For those with the MBPR, does your display make a humming noise when it is at 1/16 to 5/16 brightness?

Interesting. I have not noticed this. Will try when I get home.

My Imac on the other hand...... boy does that humm....

CLASSIC MUSCLE

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012

It might be the keyboard lighting. Try turning off the keyboard lights and see if the humming goes away. You will hear it go in and out as the keyboard lights go on and off. I'm on my 2nd RMBP and returned the first because the keyboard lights were so noisy. At first I thought it was the display humming but side by side I figured out it was definitely the keyboard lighting.

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
It might be the keyboard lighting. Try turning off the keyboard lights and see if the humming goes away. You will hear it go in and out as the keyboard lights go on and off. I'm on my 2nd RMBP and returned the first because the keyboard lights were so noisy. At first I thought it was the display humming but side by side I figured out it was definitely the keyboard lighting.

I can hear a subtle noise as I turn on and off the keyboard lights, but the display noise is much louder and changes frequency as you adjust between 1/16 and 5/16 brightness.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Maybe my ears are just really bad but I can't hear any humming regardless of screen brightness or keyboard backlight brightness.

EDIT: No change in sound whether AC adapter is plugged in or not.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Does it make a difference if the a/c adapter is plugged in?

I've had a couple previous MBPs that had an obnoxious high frequency whine/hum which was greater at higher brightness and when plugged in. Both cases it was the screen inverter.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
typical inverter issue... you'd need to take it in to Apple and let them hear it, they'll have to replace the inverter...

Aragorn234

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I have this humming noise also coming from my rmbp.
I did not buy it through apple but an apple reseller (reputable Australian retailer). Can I take this into an apple store or do I need to return it to the reseller?

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
My replacement arrived two days ago and it still hums, although a bit quieter and only from 1/16 to 4/16 brightness. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.