MBPR Experience

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aragorn234, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Aragorn234 macrumors member

I am making the final move from Windows to Mac.
    I always knew it would ba an expensive exercise to replace all my PC gear and move to a single device. That is why I went for the MBPR. however I am really struggling with the justification of a $3000 purchase.

I do have Apple computers (wife has a 27 inch iMac, I have a work supplied MBA). However my personal machines have always been Windows based machines.

How long can I expect to get from a MBPR?
    MY USAGE IS LIGHT GAMING (BF3, Diablo 3 - happy with gaming on medium settings)
    some video editing (Home movies)
    Web browsing
    Photo editing (Lightroom & Photoshop)
    What would the expected resell value be after 2 - 3 years?

I am looking to go with the top of the line (stock) MBPR.

2. Panini macrumors regular

Just curious, if BF3 is "light" gaming, what do you consider heavy?

3. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Farmville.

4. cliff.berinti macrumors newbie

I just bit the bullet and bought the base MBPR today in order to move off of my PC which has been my primary platform for years. I'm a pretty heavy gamer and will be bootcamping it to allow to continue with my addiction. I should be able to report shortly (should arrive in about a week) on how well the transition went for me. This provides nothing to you, but I feel the MBP is finally at the level of replacing a PC gaming rig. It might now play games on the highest of settings, but I think I will get by just fine. I just need to wait for the new TB display to come out with the new power adapter because I know I'll get sick of being on a 15" screen 24/7 after being spoiled with multiple monitors at home and work of much larger size.

5. Aragorn234 thread starter macrumors member

The way I see it gaming is not determined by the type of games played but the time spent playing them.

BF3 - Once or twice a week with a mate on a weekend(who plays daily)
    D3 - Two or three times a week during the week

6. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

SNES and Tetris :D

7. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

When you are considering if a PC is suitable for gaming then it's not about the time you spend on it. It's also not the types of games.

8. Aragorn234 thread starter macrumors member

Do not understand what you are meaning. Sorry.

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

The level of gaming is in fact determined by the type of game you play.

For example, if I were to say that I only do light gaming, then people on here would likely suggest a MacBook Air. What I forgot to mention is that I play Crysis. It's only once a week, but that doesn't mean it's 'light' gaming. It's still considered to be heavy gaming, whether or not I play daily or monthly.

With that said, the rMBP would still run those games just fine. The machine is aimed directly at those who do image/video editing (just look at their ads) so there's no doubt that will run smoothly too.

Resale value is hard to determine since nobody knows what they plan on doing with the rest of the lineup yet. Based on resale values of 2009 15" UB MBPs right now, you can probably expect to score around $1000 in 3 years.

10. Gaius0 macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar situation so I'd be really interested to hear what you have to say about switching to the MBPR. Do you use Lightroom too, like Aragorn234? I use my Windows laptop mainly for photography work in LR4, but I read somewhere that there are issues in the way LR previews show in the new retina display. LR4 will also be the main program I'll be running in the MBPR, so it's a pretty big deal for me to make sure it works well. But I haven't been able to get good firsthand information from someone using it.

I'm also planning to install bootcamp so I can keep using my Windows games, so I'd be interested to know what you can report in that regard as well.

11. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

That's exactly what i was trying to say. Thanks.;)

12. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

No problem.

You're from Hong Kong too? Pretty cool :)