MBPr & external monitors at either side....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpitUK, Sep 12, 2012.

1. SpitUK macrumors 6502

I used to be all Mac and then went to PC with a 3 27" screen eyefinity 7680x1440 setup. I really miss my Mac and I am working more and gaming less. I usually only play Blizzard games so they are on the Mac anyway.

I am thinking of getting a 2.6GHz, 16Gb, 256Gb retina MBP and selling my PC and 1 monitor.

Question is: I would like the MBPr in the middle of my desk and a 27" 2560x1440 at either side set back slightly. Can I set it up that way in ML so I can send windows off to the left or the right? I will have Windows 8 with Parallels on one monitor full screen etc.

Is that doable?

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

rMBP can run up to three additional displays (4 total if you include the internal LCD)

I'm not sure about assigning apps to different displays, I know you can assign them to desktops and you can also drag them to different displays.

You won't be able to use the Lion/ML full screen button unless you want all the other displays to go blank. But you can use Cinch or the like to snap windows into full screen (or resize them manually to fill the screen).

3. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, was mainly to ask if you can set the OS to know that the screens were to the left and right of the MBPr.

4. jedolley macrumors 68000

I hooked up an external display to my rMBP last night and had the option of choosing which side each screen was on. I assume it will allow you to do this for a second external. In the setting you can click on the screen and the screen it represents will highlight in red.

5. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Yup, In the system preferences under "Displays" your monitors will show up with the laptop screen, you can drag and drop the monitors to either side of the laptop screen from there.

6. SpitUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Great thanks. You have the exact model I want, are you happy with it?

7. jedolley macrumors 68000

I would like to point out that MplayerX allows you to set the video to full screen w/o blacking out the other screens. Mplayer also has a setting that when I open it it will default to the other screen if available. I figure if one app can do this then there are probably others as well, but I haven't had an dual monitor setup long enough to know.

8. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Several apps actually offer a pre-lion fullscreen modes, because, well, Lion fullscreen and dual monitors is utterly unworkable. ML vaguely improved things, but we're still far from flexible...

9. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Absolutely love it, I cancelled my 2.3 order as soon as the 2.6 because available. I know it doesn't seem like that much of a change but it bugged the crap out of me as soon as it came out. I had to order it.