MBPr graphics rendering issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dualcyclone, Jul 15, 2012.

1. dualcyclone macrumors newbie

I've had my MBPr less than 2 days now, and I have a number of graphics issues to report.

I seem to be getting some terrible graphics rendering problems with standard use oif the machine.

I can't take screen shots, so I have taken some photos and attached them; anyone else having these problems?

The first two are what happens when I come out of the screen saver then navigate to space two then back to space one to get the windows back. The third is what happens when I hover over the dock.

Typing here is proving very hard too, especially if I have to edit what I have written!!

Attached Files:

2. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

3. dualcyclone thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you got any references for this?

I am happy to take your word for it.... but I prefer a bit of provenance when it comes to any explanation

4. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

5. dualcyclone thread starter macrumors newbie

Has it really taken them over 2 weeks to fix this issue?

I literally updated Chrome on Friday once I received the new laptop, and it has been working fine until today.

This issue has been happening the last few hours with these settings (attached).

Aside with the previous screen shots, I am getting completely black areas on the screen sometimes, after immediately unlocking the machine from screensaver mode.

I have disabled automatic switching of graphics from the energy savings settings, and the problem seems to have disappeared after around 10 minutes.

Attached Files:

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Stop using chrome and see if the screen anomalies go away, if not then call/go to apple for an exchange.

7. dualcyclone thread starter macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

8. Tibits macrumors regular

9. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Chrome may not be causing this. I've stopped using Chrome and still get this upon waking from sleep, only on dynamic switching, and only when the Nvidia card is active. I haven't figured out though conditions to reproduce the error reliably. One workaround is to switch temporarily to the integrated graphics card and then switch back after a short amount of time (has both worked and not worked for me).

Good luck. I wish I knew more, but those have been my observations in very limited cases. Trying to figure out the best way to report this to Apple but want to be able to reproduce it reliably.

2.6/16/512

10. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I get those kinds of issues every once in a while when waking from sleep. It seems to only happen with the scaled resolutions. (I mostly use the 1680x1050 setting.) I don't use Chrome, so I doubt it's related. Switching to a different resolution (and then switching back) always fixes it for me. Try that.

11. dualcyclone thread starter macrumors newbie

I can reproduce pretty much 100% now.

I think the switch from integrated to dedicated is somewhat of a red herring.

I can reproduce by setting gfx to use only dedicated. Lock the machine and wait until it sleeps, then wake it up... Every time it causes the redraw issue.

This is pretty much similar to switching from integrated to dedicated if the dedicated graphics haven't been used for a long time (ie, idling). If the dedicated is "warm" it seems to work ok.

Try that... See if you can recreate the issue. My fear is the NVIDIA chip is a bag of spuds

12. spdntrxi macrumors regular

occasionally it gets some weirdness with parallels running in coherence mode (safari anyways).. but not all the time, but yes Chrome is a known issue as well.

13. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Ah, I wasn't suggesting the switch was causing it. Today I had the error in exactly the conditions you describe. Not all the time, though. What programs do you have open to reproduce it? Does it matter? If you can reproduce it reliably, can you file a bug report here:

https://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/

You'll need a free developer account. Their bug reporting best practices are here:

https://developer.apple.com/bugreporter/bugbestpractices.html

I will do the same as soon as I get a chance to try and reproduce it.

14. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Well, I wasn't able to reproduce this error reliably using the method that's working for you. So I'm going to have to keep hunting to try and re-cause my problem. I'll have to remember to take a peek into the log files to see if there's anything obvious.