MBPR Half slower internet connection than pc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bennytsmithjr, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Bennytsmithjr macrumors member

I just got my mac yesterday and found I was only getting about 25 mbs/5mbs of the 50/5 i should have been getting. After spending the entire morning at the house with a TWC tech trying to work on the speed i was getting we tested my old pc laptop and it is getting 52mbs/5mbs..... Is there something holding back my MAC that i need to change or a setting or something? First time Mac Owner here.

Also, I was going to purchase the Time Machine, but TWC gave me a modem/router all in one. So is it necessary to have time machine? and or can it be hooked up without interference?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

3. Bennytsmithjr thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean????

4. jvpython macrumors 6502

He's talking about the connection type. a/b/g/n n is the fastest so make sure your Mac is connected to your router with the fastest connection. Can't really tell you how to do this as I don't know what router you use.

5. iVoid macrumors 65816

Actually, the first question is are you using a wired ethernet connection to your cable modem or is it a wireless connection?

Then we'd have to find out what type of wireless connection.

6. blazeken996 macrumors member

A time machine is not a router. It's merely a built-in backup feature built into OSX to back up your files to another external device, and then you can see the past backups that you had.

Your router that you were given is not a time machine. I think a Time Capsule is what you're looking for.

7. Bennytsmithjr, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

Bennytsmithjr thread starter macrumors member

[/ATTACH]

You are correct...I was mistaken. First, i am running an N connection. Spent an hour on the phone with apple care and they said theres nothing software or hardware. See below

Screen Shot 2012-10-16 at 9.06.47 PM.png

Wired connection i am getting 44/5mbs which is better, but still not 50. When i am set up wireless i am only getting 25/5mbs

8. Bennytsmithjr thread starter macrumors member

I am also using an arris modem/router provided to me by Time Warner Cable.... the pc picks up ever bit of the signal fine, 50/5mbs.

9. Snowshiro macrumors 6502

You'll never get anything close to wired with wireless. There are so many competing signals, including your neighbor's wireless networks on the same or similar frequencies (some wireless channels actually overlap, so even if your neighbor is using a different channel they can sometimes conflict with each other).

Basically with wired, you an end to end signal the same as it left the transmitting device. With wireless the signal degrades the moment it leaves the transmitter, and slowly gets less and less reliable with distance (accounting of course for walls, and anything else between you and the router).

I built a new house last year and had the whole place wired with sockets in every room, despite having a wireless router, because no wireless is going to be able to touch gigabit ethernet for quite a few years to come.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

WIFI looks normal.

But if ur getting 40/50 WIRED difference, I dunno what to tell ya.

Where are u getting these numbers? are u relying on some Internet tool to tell u what your speeds are? Can you test intranet first and ignore Internet for a moment?

Two things I can think of (maybe, major geekdom)... Mac's TCP window size too small, so it's doing too many unnecessary ack, and/or Mac's packet size not optimized so lots of fragmentation. These two params typically self-configurating and needs no intervention, but if no easier answer to be found...

Don't ask me where to look in a Mac, am new to this OS!

11. Bennytsmithjr thread starter macrumors member

I am using 3 different internet speed test sites. Speedtest.net, Speedtest.centurylink.net, twc speed test...... Also, apple care told me to hold down "option" and click on the wireless symbol. then all that information will show up..... seems like option makes all the important info pop up.

12. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Try turning off bluetooth. On my rMBP I found bluetooth interference at 2.4GHz is much worse compared to my previous cMBP. Testing on speedtest.net, my down/uploads were substantially lower, and variance was really high. I posted a bug report on this, and others have seen this. :mad: From your screenshot you are also at 2.4GHz...

My solution was making sure to use dual-band connecting at 5GHz with the rMBP, and now performance is consistent with my previous machine. :)