MBPr highend 2013 or refurbished high end 2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by albertdros, Oct 28, 2013.

1. albertdros macrumors member

I already wanted to replace my macbook pro (17 inch 2010, 128 gb ssd, 750 gb hdd *superdrive replacement*, 8 gb RAM) for a while, and was actually waiting for the haswell update. Now i see that the update is not that great, I probably want to replace my computer anyways, because I'm living in Hong Kong at the moment, but have to go back to my homecountry soon (Holland). The prices in HK differ so extremely much, that it would be stupid to not to buy a new one. If it wouldn't be for this, I would probably wait for Broadwell...

Anyway, it is as it is and I was actually planning to buy the high end MBPr here for 20.000 HKD (which is around 2000 eu). But then I saw the refurb store here. I can buy the high end 2012 retina for 18.000 HKD! So we are comparing specs here:

2013 high end:
    2.3 i7 haswell
    16 gb ram
    500 gb ssd
    Iris Pro + 750m

2012 high end
    2.6 i7
    16 gb ram
    768 gb ssd
    HD4000 + 650m
    CHEAPER

Now, I've heard that the machines are about the same speed. For cheaper, I get more storage. However, here's where I need your guys help. I mainly use the computer for Photoshop, After Effects and 3D software. I am always pushing my mac to the limits with heavy use of high end software and plugins. Which machine would suit me best? How is that Iris Pro for this usage actually? I've heard for some software it's better than the 650/750m?

Hope you guys can help me out a bit. One more thing. If I buy that high end i'd probably go for the 1 TB SSD because 512 is a bit small. 768 is actually exactly right I feel. But then the price difference is 2400 eu vs 1800 eu, which is quite big! This is also a factor I'm considering. I'm mainly interested in the speed of the CPU, HD and Graphic cards when comparing. If this is about the same, I'm going for the refurbished model.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it were me, I'd go for the refurb, you're getting a bigger bang for your buck imo.

You seemed fixated on the processing power and your demands for such. That being the case will you be wondering if you made the right choice if you went with the refurb? How long do you plan on owning the laptop, if its only a couple of years then definitely the refurb.

3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

if price is important to you, I would go with the refurb. It is much much cheaper, and performance is going to be very similar. You will have slightly less battery, but not by much. Processors are going to be just about the same. The GPUs are also pretty similar, although the 750m is going to give you a little better performance. Either way, if you would fully tax the refurb machine, you would also tax the new one. It is not a huge performance bump.

If money is not the problem, I would go ahead and get the new one. Always better to future proof your machine if you can afford the newest one. Overall it is a tough decision, but IMO, the performance gains from the new machine are not worth the massive price increase.

4. albertdros thread starter macrumors member

Yea probably around 3 or 4 years before I need a new one. The one I'm using now was almost maxed out by the time I bought it. It's now 3 years later and I notice I can definately use a faster one. It's still a good machine, could easily wait for Broadwell, but well... the price difference here compared to my country is like 1000 eu...