MBPR: iGPU vs. dGPU (15" 2014)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lukewarmwinner, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

I'm leaning towards purchasing the new 2014 MBPr, since the iMac hasn't been updated in a while and seems a bit outdated.

I do video editing for a living and actually I've used my Air some times (what a pain..) and really misses some more power when editing in Premiere.

Which is why the 15" seems reasonable. Although, I really can't decide whether or not to go with the more expensive dGPU or the entry-model iGPU. My first choice (due to my economic state) would be the iGPU with 2.5 ghz for 2099$ to match the high-end model cpu.

Would I notice the missing dGPU when editing and rendering in Premiere? I've searched the web and the consensus seems to be, that if you do a lot of 3D editing or After Effects, the dGPU would be necessary. But what about editing and rendering?

I'm from Europe, so the price difference between the two models comes out to 530$ - I know about the double hard drive, but I'm using externals.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Take a look at this post It has a YT video detailing the performance differences between the iGPU and dGPU.

I'd say for most things the iGPU will be more then up to snuff, but I don't edit videos so I'll defer to the others who have more experience in that sector.

3. Lukewarmwinner thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - I'll have a look

And if others have experience with the differences, please contribute :)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

FWIW, for my next MBP, I'll be getting a iGPU only model, thanks to the improvements seen in Iris Pro. :)

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

...and because you do not like the failing dGPUs. :)

6. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

Personally I will probably never purchase a notebook with dGPU ever again (have seen too many fail). But if you are doing video editing for a living I'd take the GT750, because time is money.

7. vish26 macrumors regular

But of Course Yes !! What else ?? IGPU=Long Life, DGPU= Maybe / May not be Longer Life ! Now take the Lotto Lottery !!

8. Lukewarmwinner thread starter macrumors 6502

According to the test in video shown above, the high end is about 23 seconds faster at rendering a 3 minuet video. That's a bit, but I'm not quite sure if I can afford it - even with student discount.

I was thinking of getting a iGPU MBPr and iMac 27 combo. If I have to buy a dGPU MBPr as well my wallet's getting ripped..

So do dGPU fail alot?

9. CaffeinatedNoms macrumors member

CaffeinatedNoms

I was going to write something along the lines of 'I've never had a dGPU Mac fail on me" but then I realised that would be lying through omission.

Sure, none of my Macs have had their dGPU die. My partner's MacBook Pro on the other hand? Yup, the dGPU on that failed (as did the keyboard, but that was an extreme screwdriver incident that doesn't happen to people who don't have cats who shed fur all over their laptops).

So far as I'm concerned though, as one video editor to another, you will probably need the extra oomph of the 750M. As for buying an iMac too... why? The 27" iMac is pretty much just the 15" MBP with a 27" screen - save yourself $1000 and buy the rMBP 15" and an external monitor. That way you have the better laptop, and the screen estate when you need it! :D

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

What bugs me is that the 2009 MacBooks didn't experience any of these widespread dGPU failure issues.

In the case of the 2008 and 2010 ones (8600M GT and GT 330M), NVIDIA admitted the flaws and reimbursed Apple for the replacement program.

AMD, on the other hand....

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Desktop class processors

The iMacs have desktop class processors. The dGPU is mobile clas but the processors are a definite cut above those in the laptops.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It certainly adds that spice to life - waiting and wondering if that graphical anomaly was due to the dGPU failing or just system "burping" :p

----------

Apple's track record with dGPUs is horrible. 2008, 2010, 2011 models all have some level of failure.

I'm on the 2012 model going on 2.5 years old, so I near the 3 year mark, I'm little concerned even tough there's been zero reports of the 2012 model having GPU issues.

13. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I have a Mid-2009 17" MBP with a dead dGPU (9600M GT)...

...a 3000 US$ paperweight.

See also:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...s-apple-macbook-pros-nvidia-bad-bump-material

14. Brian Y macrumors 68040

dGPUs are the most unreliable parts of a modern laptop IMO. I've personally had two (both nvidia) fail on me.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't use Premiere much anymore, but now using Final Cut Pro, I have the performance of the Iris Pro graphics to be very good. I think FCP an take advantage of the QuickSync functionality in the integrated GPU which improves performance.

Honestly unless I have an external connect and I'm forced to the use the GT750, I don't see the reason to use it.

In fact if I had been given the option, I would have chosen the model without it. Yes I would do all the upgrades on the integrated only model and forgo the discrete graphics. The only reason I have this is because my computer was a replacement from a broken 2012 rMBP. Apple deemed it easier to replace than to fix. So I guess I can't say I hate it, but I am very satisfied with the performance of the integrated graphics. I don't game, and I think battery life very important in a laptop computer.

16. MTL18 macrumors regular

I had the same debate as you and went iGPU only.

I don't have the video demands (I wanted PS/LR and VM), but was very concerned about failure and decided a less powerful computer was better than a dead one. I can say that the iGPU handles photoshop/LR with ease and the computer writes hundreds of edited photos in minutes.

Again, can't speak to the video but thought I'd chime in since I've had similar iGPU vs. dGPU threads in the past...

17. Lukewarmwinner thread starter macrumors 6502

It's really a difficult decision. I'm leaning towards the iGPU. But what about the iMac and failing dGPU? Does it fail too?

18. Wishbrah macrumors regular

Failures are going to be over-represented on a forum that people go to for seeking advice. If you need the power of a dGPU, then go for it! Don't waste too much time on the "what-if" game...especially if there is no proof at all to suspect the 750m iteration is defective.

19. Lukewarmwinner thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah I know. I think I'll appreciate the dGPU and better rendering times, but it all comes down to finances..

20. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I completely agree. I was given the 750M model as a replacement, but I prefer iGPU only. The Iris Pro runs fine under heavy loads even with VMs. I unfortunately use the 750M a lot due to my external monitor which I use often. My old Mac had a failed GPU so I am partial to the iGPU.

21. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

I have a new loaded 27-inch iMac with the 4gb video card and I can tell you it is a absolute monster. It flys and stays cool due to the much larger cooling area that the iMac has compared to a small laptop. I also have the 2011 Macbook Pro with the dGPU and it gets pretty hot if Im using the dGPU. I have used the 2014 15-inch macbook pro with dGPU and it does get a lot hotter than the iMac also. Now everyone knows heat is never a good thing on electronics. So if you need to really use this MacBook as your only computer you are better off getting a iGPU. But if you can afford to get a true dedicated editing rig along with a laptop for gathering data while on the road then this is a ideal route. But money will also be double the cost. I would never recommend putting all your eggs in one basket with a computer. Cause they all fail, no matter what the setup.

You could have the most reliable laptop ever built, then you drop it, or worse yet you spill your drink on it. This is why laptops cost double to get applecare. I wouldn't worry so much on reliable but worry more about what works for you and can help you be more productive and stay motivated and inspired to do good work. Will the iGPU frustrate you and always make you think you could get more done compared to the dGPU? Or can you deal with the slower render times? The best video editor I know runs a 2010 base macbook pro that is insanely slow, but he is very patient. I work different and want to fly along, yet this also gets me in trouble at times. I will over think a project and have made mistakes just because it was flying along and I wasn't thinking. So to each their own.

Try both use the apple 14 day return policy. Put them through their paces and see what works for you.

22. cirus macrumors 6502a

23. MTL18 macrumors regular

To be fair, a class action lawsuit is building so this failure isn't a minute amount. I agree that you will see overrepresentation, but a 0.0001% iGPU failure risk is a lot better than a 1% dGPU risk.

Worth keeping in mind when spending 3k on a computer.

24. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Ya then you spill your coffee on ur $3000 laptop while reading the forums on dGPU failures. Don't fret the small stuff and get what you need to be productive on what you do.